Southbridge burnt - cause PSU

Micogamer

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
Hi guys. I oc'ed i7 930 to 4ghz with only 1x4 pin power connector ( it's 130w tdp processor). After 20 days of use, my southbridge died. It's because i didn't connectd 8 pin? I overclocked it by helping OC guide for i7 930. 1.35 voltage. 4ghz 21 multiplier 191 bclk etc..( My cooler was good enough to cool processor, temps was fine while oc. - Be quiet 150w tdp cooler.)
Mobo: asus p6x58d-e + 1 more: i used different rams:4gb 1333mhz and 4gb 1600 mhz.
So i want to know its because of PSU or bad overclock. Thanks.

Solution
Dude, you just used over a decade old PSU on very good motherboard.... that and older PSU that dont have ATX 2.4 standard are basicly fire hazzard on newer systems which have high wattage usage like yours, the voltage regulator can go mad and go over the specs of 12V, 5V and 3V , for instance 12V goes to 13V and kills your system, espacially the 5VSB is dangerous.

Now you can thank your friend for that PSU.
Always google a bit before buying an crap.

It doesnt mean that i didnt use crappy 10$ PSU but its atleast 2.4 standard (MS-400W).
No, the problem might be that you havent changed the thermal paste of the south bridge if you had heatsink, 8pin is only more more amps and stability and(usually) for high OC like 1.5V and 5GHz+ (Nitrogen).
Did you change the voltages for SB and NB? PLL?

Usually thermal GLUE or whatever its called becomes stone after years.

For instance my G31M-S2L southbridge was heating up to 90*C until i changed thermal paste and it runs around 70-80*C on high OC with NB and SB +0.3V and ram 2.2V, as for CPU its on 1.5V

Which PSU is in question?

Micogamer

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017

bqt-p4 520w 1.3 - 2003 PSU. no i didn't change anything.

Micogamer

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017

Hahah yes, i didnt know about this psu bought it from friend. i tought it's 3-4 years old :( Do you think this psu is the reason ?

Dude, you just used over a decade old PSU on very good motherboard.... that and older PSU that dont have ATX 2.4 standard are basicly fire hazzard on newer systems which have high wattage usage like yours, the voltage regulator can go mad and go over the specs of 12V, 5V and 3V , for instance 12V goes to 13V and kills your system, espacially the 5VSB is dangerous.

Now you can thank your friend for that PSU.
Always google a bit before buying an crap.

It doesnt mean that i didnt use crappy 10$ PSU but its atleast 2.4 standard (MS-400W).

Solution

Micogamer

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017

Thanks for ur time. Yes i will thank my friend too :D