Southbridge chip location

two-dogs1

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I have a Toshiba laptop I have taken the Motherboard out and would like someone to point out the southbridge chip on it. The board is a DA0BDBMB8F0 A000241250 and need someone to show me in a picture..........thanks..........Larry

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
the most likely southbridge location is here:
p70-p75-da0bdbmb8f0-a000241250.jpg

the big black square pcb with smaller black chip housing in center, at the bottom of the board.

i believe the multi pin square to be the north/south bridge.

i cannot say for certain, the quality of the picture does not allow me to identify it 100%, theres no detailed pictures for me to see to be sure.

i hope this helps you in what youre trying to do.

two-dogs1

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Answering your question the reason why is that I was thinking about buying a MB with a bad southbridge chip in it and wanted to know how hard it would be to replace. So if a seen where it is on the board that would give me an idea of how difficult it would be. My motherboard burns my finger if I touch the black (ba2511) chip next to the power supply plug. Also no power to any of the capacitors and was hoping to get by cheap..........

two-dogs1

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Adept thanks for the info but that just shows me a SB, I need to know where it is on my board. Like I said it is a DA0BDBMB8F0 A000241250 motherboard I need the location on that ...........thanks...........two-dogs

Well, you will have to be an expert in soldering if you are going to replace that.

It will be a BGA chip, so you will need a BGA reflow station to remove the chip, stencil for the replacement and appropriate sized solder balls to re-ball the new chip. Not an easy job for even an expert as it's easy to lift a trace or solder pad. Even a few degrees difference can screw things up.

two-dogs1

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Ok it looks like changing out a SB chip is out, one more question and to most it might be a silly one but here it goes. Can you use a 19 volt computer power supply to check a 5 volt computer fan or will it burn it up immediately?.....The reason why I asked this question, is a made some pins to go into the fan connector and after adding power to the fan it momentarily spun and then nothing, actually it just moved the blades for just a split second....please educate ....thanks....two-dogs

No you cannot do that. A 5V fan will break down at 19V. Also normal desktop computer fans are 12V.