Southbridge temperature on B350 chipset.

welkore

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017
So I got myself MSI B350 PC Mate motherboard to run Ryzen 5 1600 and I noticed that the southbridge tend to be very hot. There are no detectors on the motherboard to measure it, but when I touch the radiator it feels like it's about +75C hot, no matter what I do. Is it fine? The system is not overclocked, the airflow in Fractal Design Meshify C seems pretty nice.

Also a side question, if I install some southbridge cooler with a bigger radiator, will it void the warranty?

Solution
Ok, makes perfect sense now. Thanks for clarifying.
Yes, it is possible removing that heat sink will void your warranty.
75C is pretty hot, even for a chipset, but if there's no thermal sensor you might want to get a thermometer to get a more accurate reading than "touch".

My PC has 13 fans. It's a huge case with quite good airflow. I have a fan positioned directly over the chipset, which is showing 38C, while the CPU cores are showing 19C and the system temp is 34C. So it's not unusual for chipsets to be warmer than system or CPU temps.

If your case permits it adding a side or bottom fan might improve airflow over the chipset but it won't make a big difference.

If after getting an accurate temperature, if it's still showing 70C or...

Tanyac

Reputable
I assume by Southbridge you mean chipset. Suthbridge has pretty much been redundant since about 2011 when the northbridge was moved to the CPU, and Southbridge was replace by PCH (Or Chipset).

PCH's almost always have a heatsink attached, but you can't connect a radiator to it (At least not easily). They tend to run warmer than other system components.

In any case, if a radiator was 75C to the touch that would be a problem. But radiators are typically used for CPUs and graphics cards. If the radiator were 75C them it's likely that the CPU it's trying to cool is hotter than that, which might suggest the pump is not connected to the CPU properly.

However, as you're mixing terminology for different components of the motherboard I'm having a little trouble understanding where your problem actual is.

Installing bigger radiators for your CPU does not void your warranty. You main issue will be case space.

Removing a heatsink from your chipset might void your warranty.

welkore

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017

CPU runs perfectly fine (36 to 50 C), the problem is with the chipset (yeah, I still call it the Southbridge because of the old habbit). Talking about heatsink, it's a language problem. In Russian we don't have an analog for that word, so we call them both "Radiators".
61_Lr_NFy_FJq_L.jpg

Tanyac

Reputable
Ok, makes perfect sense now. Thanks for clarifying.
Yes, it is possible removing that heat sink will void your warranty.
75C is pretty hot, even for a chipset, but if there's no thermal sensor you might want to get a thermometer to get a more accurate reading than "touch".

My PC has 13 fans. It's a huge case with quite good airflow. I have a fan positioned directly over the chipset, which is showing 38C, while the CPU cores are showing 19C and the system temp is 34C. So it's not unusual for chipsets to be warmer than system or CPU temps.

If your case permits it adding a side or bottom fan might improve airflow over the chipset but it won't make a big difference.

If after getting an accurate temperature, if it's still showing 70C or higher when the system is idle, I suggest checking with MSI.

Solution