Soyo Dragon?

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Anyone having difficulty getting IDE 3,& 4 to work?.According to the manual,these can be configured as RAID(in the bios)or left as default IDE connections.I can't get either to recognize any kind of device.I was wanting to put my cd-rom,and burner on seperate IDE channels........thanks..:)

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.

G

I read somewhere that you have to turn on RAID in the BIOS if you are going to use those IDEs even if you aren't setting up a RAID system.

You might try that. Let me know what works for you once you solve it. My SOYO is in the mail.

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Directly from the manual.."IDE connections 3,& 4 only require bios changes if configured for RAID".......The manual also stated that a cpu stand was necessary for this motherboard,but one came with it........So,maybe the manual has some snafu's in it....lol

pat

Expert
at the end of the manual, in the promise fastTrack section, there is a FAQ that state that the fasttrack LITE doenst support the ATAPI packet so you cannot use cd-rom, burner,... in those connectors. Try putting your HD there instead and keep your ATAPI device on connector 1 and 2.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
That was the first device that I tried,after the burner didn't work. I'm beginning to wonder if the manual is incorrect?.;)

pat

Expert
In order to have them working as normal ATA connectors, you have to enable the Promise RAID chip in the BIOS and set the jumper on the motherboard to ATA instead of RAID. Just setting in the BIOS will make them working in RAID mode.

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Jumperless design.The only jumper is a cmos reset jumper,everything else is bios controlled.The RAID is a High Point chip.The default bios setting may have gotten changed.I'll check it out after work....Thanks.:)

pat

Expert
There is another jumper for that...It is just no well documented in the manual. Check the page 43, at the bottom, they talk about it. On my board, it is upper right to the cmos battery, 1/4 of inch from the battery. It must be set to the 2-3 pin to work as normal ATA.

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
We must have slightly different boards.Mine is an ultra model.Page 43 has pictures of bios settings,no mention of jumpers.My cmos battery is located lower right,no jumper present.I found a bios setting for enabling or disabling on board IDE RAID,set it to disable,didn't help.Might be time for tech support.......:)

pat

Expert
Oh...You have the ultra for a P4..I have the + for AMD...That explain all.

then I cannot help you more.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I have the ultra and used the 3-4 ports as stand alone ide ports did you install the high point drivers and then go into the bios and set up the raid options ? The bios section for these controllers is inaccessable until you do this .. after you do there is an option during the boot to go onto this area

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Sure didn't.Just give me this weeks dunce award.I interpreted the manual to mean nothing was required unless you wanted RAID functions.I ASSumed that the drivers were for RAID use only.BTW,did you get this info via the manual?,or figure it out on your own?.I realized something was funny because the bios IDE screen only showed four channels.I knew something had to happen to open up the other four.Thanks a million.:)

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Here ya go.. <font color=red> ^ </font color=red> lol actually I got a hint about it (being raid iliterate also) when I saw it mentioned somewhere that in order to install XP on this board you need to have a floppy ready with the drivers on it or it's a no go.. read the manual carefully with that in mind and there ya have it .. glad I could help

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Soyo website has info that contradicts the manual....lol
Found out something else,"No bios changes" means different things to different readers.To some,it means use default settings.To others,it means "no upgrades required"....:)

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Still not there yet........Loaded the drivers,but the high point menu options are only for RAID.........The bios recognises the hard drive,but it wont boot.I configured it to boot as per the manual,and it appears to try.The bios hangs on the checking DMI phase....any thoughts?...Thanks......:)

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
hmm not sure now .. did you set it to boot from the proper drive ??

lagger

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
I set it to boot from IDE 3,per the manual.It tells you to set the first boot device to SCSI,so I did .I dont get a disk not detected nag message,just a DMI hangup....:)