News Soyo H310C Motherboard Suprisingly Supports 6th, 7th Gen Intel CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

abryant

Asst. Managing Editor
Staff member
May 16, 2016
If you're looking for an LGA1151 socket motherboard that can house the last four generations of Intel Core processors, Soyo has exactly what you need. The Soyo H310CM-V3H V2.0 motherboard supports Intel processors going way back to the Skylake era. Read more here.
20181228064002359.jpg

ZHIYE LIU
@zhiyeliu
Zhiye Liu is a Contributing Writer for Tom's Hardware US. He covers CPU, GPU and Motherboard news.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
So... I could replace my motherboard with this one, keeping my i3-6100, then in the future upgrade to an i7-9900k? (ok, maybe not that much, but that's the idea)

Question 1: how?

Question 2: why couldn't Intel make this work?

Racksmith

Prominent
Jul 30, 2017
Linus did a video recently of a similar board, they do work but they also have issues, manufacturers support being one.

jpe1701

Honorable
Too bad more manufacturers don't do this. I wouldn't have gone AMD when I updated last time if they kept compatibility. I mean I understand that the i9 9900k has to have a good power delivery system but they had to know it was coming and could have prepared for it.
On a side note, thank you for linking the comment thread in the article. I've been looking for that.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Too bad more manufacturers don't do this. I wouldn't have gone AMD when I updated last time if they kept compatibility. I mean I understand that the i9 9900k has to have a good power delivery system but they had to know it was coming and could have prepared for it.
On a side note, thank you for linking the comment thread in the article. I've been looking for that.
This does next to nothing for forward compatibility though. Anyone who has a 6/7 gen CPU already has a 100/200 series mobo. And if you're going to buy a new mobo, it makes sense to just get a 300 series mobo. The only reason I can think that anyone would get this is if they can find a cheap used 6/7 gen CPU and need to get a mobo for it, or if their own mobo broke and they want to replace it without getting a new CPU right away, and they want to leave room to upgrade in the future. Or if they really want to use DDR3 with 8/9 gen. The scenarios where this board makes sense seem incredibly limited.

Now if a manufacturer was somehow able to bring 8/9 gen support to their existing 100/200 series mobos with a FW update or something, that would notable.

johnphilips

Reputable
Nov 6, 2018
What? Soyo is back from the dead? Ddr3 is also back?? Skylake and Kaby lake??? Is this some kind of "Night of the living dead" anniversary tribute?

Reactions: artk2219
Since you normally can only run Windows 7 on a Skylake CPU. I wonder what if you can run Windows 7 with CPU wise on this motherboard. It says it supports Windows 7 but will it work on all the different CPU generations the motherboard supports? To bad it doesn't support DDR4 RAM, DDR3 is getting harder to find.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Since you normally can only run Windows 7 on a Skylake CPU. I wonder what if you can run Windows 7 with CPU wise on this motherboard. It says it supports Windows 7 but will it work on all the different CPU generations the motherboard supports? To bad it doesn't support DDR4 RAM, DDR3 is getting harder to find.

Um, no.... you can run Windows 10 on Skylake. And Haswell, and Sandy Bridge, and even E and Q core series CPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.