SP fans on cpu cooler?

Lukey_AMD

Reputable
May 29, 2014
I recently learned about SP fans vs AF fans from corsair. And I'm wondering if buying a set of SP120 fans would be beneficial on my evo 212 cooler? The fans are after all, good for restricted space. I.E, blowing directly onto the heat sink.

I'm doing an entire new build, with more fans than before, 2 front intake, 1 rear exhaust and the potential for 2 top exhausts or just leave empty. Just trying to figure out the very best options for my cooling set up

Solution
I wouldn't waste the money to replace the fans on your EVO 212, it's a good cooler for the costs but if your serious about overclocking and getting the temperatures down your better off getting a better heatsink. If you need to replace the fan(s) though, sure go for it.
I wouldn't waste the money to replace the fans on your EVO 212, it's a good cooler for the costs but if your serious about overclocking and getting the temperatures down your better off getting a better heatsink. If you need to replace the fan(s) though, sure go for it.

Solution

l1ghtm4st3r

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012

This is definitely a viable option.
I would advise however, if you are going to go for the SP, go for the High Performance.
With CPU fans the most important part of the fan is the static air pressure. Basically the amount of force the fan can put on the air to push it through and past all the fins.
You're main focus should be high static air pressure so all the wind goes straight through the cooler and can easily be replaced with fresh cooler air.
It's a good choice of fan you've got but it also may not be necessary. As you're going with a new build the more fans will naturally cool down the CPU better and the fan on the EVO isn't bad as is.

I'd say, unless you're heading for higher overclock, leave it as is as you'll most likely only notice a few degrees drop in temperature.

Lukey_AMD

Reputable
May 29, 2014
Its been a while, but my build is complete now, has been for a week or so. The evo 212 turns out, didnt fit in the corsair spec-01 case, by literally a mm or 2, because of where the windowed frame lays on the inside. I got a corsair H55 on offer for £44, and ive got to say its much better than reviews suggested.. Idle 20c max temp 43c with my FX 6300 - not overclocked. I did however replace the fan on it, for aesthetic reasons. SP120 PWM Quiet edition fan, its pretty much silent even at 100%. Great fan. Looking at getting a set of SP120 LED's for the front of the case