Question Sp120 questions

Some1helpme

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
Hello everyone, I have a 460x with 4 sp120 rgb fans and 4 in-series corsair rgb strips, 1 fan rgb hub and the commander pro. Thinking about getting the pc 011 dynamic for more space and water cooling.
Question 1: how would I go about using 9 sp120 fans plus the 4 strips and have it work on the icue software? Do I need another commander or another rgb hub?

Question 2: On newegg or says the sp120 rgb's are individually addressable but in the icue software it only has option to apple effect to the fan as a whole, not the 8 individual rgbs.

Thanks

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
First I'd like clarification on exactly what items you have. You say 4 x SP120 RGB fans, but Corsair has two of similar model names. The SP120 RGB LED High Performance fans are 3-pin fans (Voltage control Mode, not PWM) with plain RGB lights in the frame. On that lighting system, at any one time all the lights in a fan are the same colour, although over time that colour can change. The iCue SP120 RGB Pro Performance fans also are 3-pin (Voltage, not PWM Mode) and have the newer Addressable RGB lights. In that system, at any one time there can be several colours displayed in ONE fan. So, which do you have? And, in adding fans, be sure to get the same type.

For both of those fan types, the max current spec for the motor is 0.3 A. (Power for the lights is done separately with a different cable connected to the RGB Hub.) The Commander Pro specs say that it has six fan motor ports with standard 4-pin fan connectors in them, and each port can supply up to 1.0 A max. The limit for the entire Commander Pro is 4.5 A max for fans. So you COULD use standard simple 4-pin fan Splitters (NOT a Fan Hub) to connect two fans each to three of the ports, and the other three to three more ports, giving you 9 fans. That would present max loads of 0.6 A on three ports, 0.3 A on three, and total 2.7 A.

Now to the RGB lights. You have currently four fans plus four RGB light strips connected to a Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub, correct? Although the Hub has only six output ports, you mention the light strips are "in-series"; I presume that means some are plugged into others, in a daisy-chain arrangement. Maybe two sets of two. Anyway, the spec for that Hub is "six strips", but you seem to have eight lighting devices on it. Certainly you cannot add more to that one. You WOULD need to buy a second RGB Fan Led Hub. The Commander Pro unit has TWO RGB lighting output ports and is supposed to include two cables to connect each of those to a RGB Fan LED Hub, so you could arrange two RGB hub units controlled by the RGB ports of the Commander Pro. Then you could re-arrange the LIGHTING connections for 9 fans plus four strips to fit on a total of 12 outputs. The unanswered question then will be co-ordination of the light displays. The two Hubs each will be fed by a separate RGB channel from the Commander Pro under the control of the iCue software. I do not know the details of how that works. It may be that each channel is controlled separately and you cannot make ALL of your lights do the same thing. In fact, maybe that is what you would want. But there MAY be a way in iCue to sync both RGB channels to do exactly he same thing.

Now, on to your Question 2. The answer depends on exactly which type of fan you do have, and in understanding what each can do. In RGB lighting units there are three colours of LED - Red, Green, Blue. In the plain RGB system (the SP120 RGB LED High Performance models) all of the LED's of one colour (say, Red) are connected together and do exactly the same thing. Similarly for Greens and Blues. So along a light strip (or around a frame of a fan) the entire strip will be the same colour at any moment. That colour can be changed to a lot of colours over a time frame. In the more complex Addressable RGB system (in iCue SP120 RGB Pro Performance fans) the same three LED colours are organized differently. All the LED's in the strip are in Nodes, each containing one LED of each of those 3 colours, plus a controller chip for that trio only. Along the strip all the controller chips listen to the Control Line. The RGB controller box sends out on that line data packets of intructions, and each packet has an address for which controller chip should do what the instructions say. Each controller chip responds only to a data packet with its address, hence the name Addressable RGB. So along the line, at any one moment each Node of three LED's can have a different colour from all the others along the line. This can produce rainbow displays, and rainbow bands chasing each other down the line, etc. Exactly what displays can be shown depends on how the controller box is programmed. Most such system do NOT give you tools to manipulate each specific LED, but you get to choose among many pre-programmed patterns.

Some1helpme

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
First I'd like clarification on exactly what items you have. You say 4 x SP120 RGB fans, but Corsair has two of similar model names. The SP120 RGB LED High Performance fans are 3-pin fans (Voltage control Mode, not PWM) with plain RGB lights in the frame. On that lighting system, at any one time all the lights in a fan are the same colour, although over time that colour can change. The iCue SP120 RGB Pro Performance fans also are 3-pin (Voltage, not PWM Mode) and have the newer Addressable RGB lights. In that system, at any one time there can be several colours displayed in ONE fan. So, which do you have? And, in adding fans, be sure to get the same type.

For both of those fan types, the max current spec for the motor is 0.3 A. (Power for the lights is done separately with a different cable connected to the RGB Hub.) The Commander Pro specs say that it has six fan motor ports with standard 4-pin fan connectors in them, and each port can supply up to 1.0 A max. The limit for the entire Commander Pro is 4.5 A max for fans. So you COULD use standard simple 4-pin fan Splitters (NOT a Fan Hub) to connect two fans each to three of the ports, and the other three to three more ports, giving you 9 fans. That would present max loads of 0.6 A on three ports, 0.3 A on three, and total 2.7 A.

Now to the RGB lights. You have currently four fans plus four RGB light strips connected to a Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub, correct? Although the Hub has only six output ports, you mention the light strips are "in-series"; I presume that means some are plugged into others, in a daisy-chain arrangement. Maybe two sets of two. Anyway, the spec for that Hub is "six strips", but you seem to have eight lighting devices on it. Certainly you cannot add more to that one. You WOULD need to buy a second RGB Fan Led Hub. The Commander Pro unit has TWO RGB lighting output ports and is supposed to include two cables to connect each of those to a RGB Fan LED Hub, so you could arrange two RGB hub units controlled by the RGB ports of the Commander Pro. Then you could re-arrange the LIGHTING connections for 9 fans plus four strips to fit on a total of 12 outputs. The unanswered question then will be co-ordination of the light displays. The two Hubs each will be fed by a separate RGB channel from the Commander Pro under the control of the iCue software. I do not know the details of how that works. It may be that each channel is controlled separately and you cannot make ALL of your lights do the same thing. In fact, maybe that is what you would want. But there MAY be a way in iCue to sync both RGB channels to do exactly he same thing.

Now, on to your Question 2. The answer depends on exactly which type of fan you do have, and in understanding what each can do. In RGB lighting units there are three colours of LED - Red, Green, Blue. In the plain RGB system (the SP120 RGB LED High Performance models) all of the LED's of one colour (say, Red) are connected together and do exactly the same thing. Similarly for Greens and Blues. So along a light strip (or around a frame of a fan) the entire strip will be the same colour at any moment. That colour can be changed to a lot of colours over a time frame. In the more complex Addressable RGB system (in iCue SP120 RGB Pro Performance fans) the same three LED colours are organized differently. All the LED's in the strip are in Nodes, each containing one LED of each of those 3 colours, plus a controller chip for that trio only. Along the strip all the controller chips listen to the Control Line. The RGB controller box sends out on that line data packets of intructions, and each packet has an address for which controller chip should do what the instructions say. Each controller chip responds only to a data packet with its address, hence the name Addressable RGB. So along the line, at any one moment each Node of three LED's can have a different colour from all the others along the line. This can produce rainbow displays, and rainbow bands chasing each other down the line, etc. Exactly what displays can be shown depends on how the controller box is programmed. Most such system do NOT give you tools to manipulate each specific LED, but you get to choose among many pre-programmed patterns.
Ah ok I was not aware it's a newer model
I have the 1st ones, so I guess they are not individually addressable.
Yes you are correct the light strips are connected to each other and then to a rgb hub.
Got the 4 fans (rgb cable) plugged into the rgb hub then into commander pro channel 1. Then the strips into channel 2. Fans are all plugged into the commander pro(fan power cable). Getting power to the additional fans is no problem I have a couple splitter laying around. Just the rgb set up.
What I was wondering is if I get a 2nd rgb hub if the effects would work correctly. Let's says an effects that goes in order fans 1-9, if it would do it right or if it would go 1-5 correct then other 4 all at once.

Cables hooked up: https://ibb.co/mb3Dymt
Build: https://builds.gg/builds/whitey-mk-3-19875

What got me thinking about the rgb in the fans, yes they are hd120:
View: https://youtu.be/LHj2-NgTaTo

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Now I see how you have the fans and strips connected to follow the port limits. What I suggest with more lighted fans is a bit different, because the second Hub needs an RGB port on the Commader Pro.

Disconnect the four RGB strips from the Commander Port RGB port #2. Plug the new Hub in there. Now you have two groups of six RGB ports, and possibly nine fans plus 4 strips to connect. If you keep two light strips connected together in a daisy chain, then that reduces you to 12 ports required. Now you can connect those any way you choose.

My understanding of the iCue software and the Commander Pro is that the two RGB output ports of the Pro are separately configured for their displays. So each Hub and its units would be handled by the Commander Pro as a separate group. But as I said in the end of my second-last paragraph under "The unanswered question then...." is I don't know whether iCue can be set up to sync both Commander Pro output ports do exactly the same thing. Contact Tech Support at Corsair for that answer.

Some1helpme

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
Now I see how you have the fans and strips connected to follow the port limits. What I suggest with more lighted fans is a bit different, because the second Hub needs an RGB port on the Commader Pro.

Disconnect the four RGB strips from the Commander Port RGB port #2. Plug the new Hub in there. Now you have two groups of six RGB ports, and possibly nine fans plus 4 strips to connect. If you keep two light strips connected together in a daisy chain, then that reduces you to 12 ports required. Now you can connect those any way you choose.

My understanding of the iCue software and the Commander Pro is that the two RGB output ports of the Pro are separately configured for their displays. So each Hub and its units would be handled by the Commander Pro as a separate group. But as I said in the end of my second-last paragraph under "The unanswered question then...." is I don't know whether iCue can be set up to sync both Commander Pro output ports do exactly the same thing. Contact Tech Support at Corsair for that answer.
I would have to use 2 rgb hubs and plug them into the commander pro, wont be able to use the strips, the connector of the strips will not plug into the rgb hub. The connector of the of the strips is the same as the rgb hub to connect to commander pro but the rgb has different style on it I guess specifically for fans.

I sent then a ticket but I don't expect much from them. Last time they took 3 months to reply then another 3 weeks for a follow up answer.