[SOLVED] SP120 Red Led not running at rated speed.

ron2456

Distinguished
Hello my newly bought CorsairSP120 is not running at its rated 1650RPM as advertised on Corsair's website.
I have attached the screenshot from HWinfo. All are connected to Mobo headers

HD33hq0.png

Here is the bios screenshot.
RFDh443.png

Last edited:

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017
Unless there's something wrong with your fan curve in BIOS that's still totally within the typical +/- 10% rotational speed variance that fans have. Corsair doesn't advertise it, but if you look at say, Noctua's fans, they all show +/- 10% in their tech specs.

Is the fan mounted at the top of your case? Those are sleeve bearing fans and they really don't like being mounted horizontally. At work we had a 50% failure rate after 1 year on the top exhaust fans of our Maingear workstations. I always recommend spending more on fans because you only have to have replace a failed cheap $10-12 fan once before you've spent as much as you would have on a good $18-25 fan. Noctua has insanely long minimum time before failure ratings(17+ years of continuous use.)

Also, HWMonitor sucks. Use HWinfo64

ron2456

Distinguished
Unless there's something wrong with your fan curve in BIOS that's still totally within the typical +/- 10% rotational speed variance that fans have. Corsair doesn't advertise it, but if you look at say, Noctua's fans, they all show +/- 10% in their tech specs.

Is the fan mounted at the top of your case? Those are sleeve bearing fans and they really don't like being mounted horizontally. At work we had a 50% failure rate after 1 year on the top exhaust fans of our Maingear workstations. I always recommend spending more on fans because you only have to have replace a failed cheap $10-12 fan once before you've spent as much as you would have on a good $18-25 fan. Noctua has insanely long minimum time before failure ratings(17+ years of continuous use.)

Also, HWMonitor sucks. Use HWinfo64
Nope, its front intaje fans infront of hdd cage

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017
Also do you think using the case without front filters is wise? My front filters came loose and the pressure of fans is pulling it towards them.
You'll just have to clean the case more often. Really heavy dust buildup on fans can make them unbalanced so they might start vibrating and wearing faster but it's not really something you'd experience unless you didn't clean them for 2-3 years.

Reactions: ron2456

ron2456

Distinguished
You'll just have to clean the case more often. Really heavy dust buildup on fans can make them unbalanced so they might start vibrating and wearing faster but it's not really something you'd experience unless you didn't clean them for 2-3 years.
Solved the mesh problem, made a new mesh from nylon mesh from a local hardware store and attached it with heat resistant adhesive to the front panel of the case.

Reactions: junglist724

TRENDING THREADS