SP2 and SP3 XP professional

easerrano

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
How's it going. I need to install SP 2 and then SP 3 on an older computer running XP professional. I can't get it from the Internet, when I try yo download it, it downloads, but if fails on extracting the files.

Does anybody have these two updates that can please make 'em available to me?

Please e-mail them at eserrano@hotmail.com

Thanks very much in advance.

Sincerely,

Enrique Serrano

Solution
Download SP3 to a different directory from one you tried to before (change the default to the Desktop or C:\ or something). Then do a manual extraction with this command: windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe -x:c:\SP3 <-- or wherever you want to put the files. Then browse to the i386 directory inside the folder and run the SP setup.

mooseantlers

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
Having dealt with a snail-paced dial up connection years ago, doing a download for the updates would take a day or so .. if we didn't loose the connection (I live in the sticks .. there is no high speed net where I live).

You did not pass on some vital (?) info. Did you do a reinstall .. or rebuild of XP? A couple of days ago, I did a rebuild of XP and it refused to update; kept saying I needed sp2 .. and reported it was installed.

Only download them from MS. There are a number of 'hot-fixes' available at MS; use the forums, etc. I messed with this for 2 days & not sure what I did, but it's finally back to to snuff.

easerrano

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

How's it going, Hawkeye22. Thanks for clarifying that SP3 excedes SP2. I have tried that so many times already. It starts downloading fine, but the package, ????.cab, has a corrupted file and it doesn't give you the choice of skipping the file and continue, but the OS just aborts extracting from it.

I was wondering if it was possible for you or anybody reading, to get me an SP3 for Windows XP Pro update that is not corrupted, so I can successfuly install it.
If you can make it available, I would really appreciate it. Please send it to me at eserrano@hotmail.com.

Enrique Serrano

Thanks.

Sometimes it will fail due to a drive with bad sectors or an infected drive. There is no way for me to get SP3 to you. You can try a "chkdsk c: /f /r" without quotes from a command line (this may take a while) and also try a malware scan before proceeding with the install.

Download SP3 to a different directory from one you tried to before (change the default to the Desktop or C:\ or something). Then do a manual extraction with this command: windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe -x:c:\SP3 <-- or wherever you want to put the files. Then browse to the i386 directory inside the folder and run the SP setup.

Solution