SP2 installed?

KG

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

Using winXP home control panel add or remove programs shows Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q819696
installed but control panel, system, general shows System, Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition,
Version 2002, Service Pack 1. And windows update doesn't show SP2 after scanning for needed
updates. Any idea or way I may find out for sure if SP2 is installed, is there any file unique to
SP2 or anything?
*****************
Thank You kgsAT@msbx.net

There is nothing so annoying as arguing with somebody who knows what he is
talking about!

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:13:59 -0500, KG wrote:

> Using winXP home control panel add or remove programs shows Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q819696
> installed but control panel, system, general shows System, Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition,
> Version 2002, Service Pack 1. And windows update doesn't show SP2 after scanning for needed
> updates. Any idea or way I may find out for sure if SP2 is installed, is there any file unique to
> SP2 or anything?

System in Control Panel is a good way. You have some hotfixes installed
that were scheduled for and rolled up into SP2 which is why they have SP2
in the title. All that means is that you have some hotfixes that are part
of SP2, but you do not have the full SP2 installed.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

"KG" <kgsAT@msbx.net> wrote in message
| Using winXP home control panel add or remove programs shows Windows XP
Hotfix (SP2) Q819696
| installed but control panel, system, general shows System, Microsoft
Windows XP, Home Edition,
| Version 2002, Service Pack 1. And windows update doesn't show SP2 after
scanning for needed
| updates. Any idea or way I may find out for sure if SP2 is installed, is
there any file unique to
| SP2 or anything?
| *****************
| Thank You kgsAT@msbx.net
|
| There is nothing so annoying as arguing with somebody who knows what he is
| talking about!
|
| To reply to this email please remove the AT
| after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Another easy way to tell is to look at the XP boot screen. If it says "Home
Edition" or "Professional" you don't have SP2.

You have Service Pack 1 installed.
The hotfixes labelled SP2 are those that are incorporated in SP-2 and those
entries will go away once SP-2 is installed.

Follow the Service Pack Installation Checklist to install SP-2:

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"KG" <kgsAT@msbx.net> wrote in message
> Using winXP home control panel add or remove programs shows Windows XP
> Hotfix (SP2) Q819696
> installed but control panel, system, general shows System, Microsoft
> Windows XP, Home Edition,
> Version 2002, Service Pack 1. And windows update doesn't show SP2 after
> scanning for needed
> updates. Any idea or way I may find out for sure if SP2 is installed, is
> there any file unique to
> SP2 or anything?
> *****************
> Thank You kgsAT@msbx.net
>
> There is nothing so annoying as arguing with somebody who knows what he is
> talking about!
>
> To reply to this email please remove the AT
> after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

For a great and easy way to determine what is on and in your computer,
download, install and run Belard Advisor. It will show all installed
Microsoft Hotfixes, software, licenses and keys (from recent versions of
Office, etc). It's available here: http://www.belarc.com/
> You have Service Pack 1 installed.
> The hotfixes labelled SP2 are those that are incorporated in SP-2 and
> those entries will go away once SP-2 is installed.
>
> Follow the Service Pack Installation Checklist to install SP-2:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "KG" <kgsAT@msbx.net> wrote in message
>> Using winXP home control panel add or remove programs shows Windows XP
>> Hotfix (SP2) Q819696
>> installed but control panel, system, general shows System, Microsoft
>> Windows XP, Home Edition,
>> Version 2002, Service Pack 1. And windows update doesn't show SP2 after
>> scanning for needed
>> updates. Any idea or way I may find out for sure if SP2 is installed, is
>> there any file unique to
>> SP2 or anything?
>> *****************
>> Thank You kgsAT@msbx.net
>>
>> There is nothing so annoying as arguing with somebody who knows what he
>> is
>> talking about!
>>
>> To reply to this email please remove the AT
>> after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Gordon

KG wrote:
> Using winXP home control panel add or remove programs shows Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q819696
> installed but control panel, system, general shows System, Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition,
> Version 2002, Service Pack 1. And windows update doesn't show SP2 after scanning for needed
> updates. Any idea or way I may find out for sure if SP2 is installed, is there any file unique to
> SP2 or anything?
> *****************
> Thank You kgsAT@msbx.net
>
> There is nothing so annoying as arguing with somebody who knows what he is
> talking about!
>
> To reply to this email please remove the AT
> after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Go to Start-Run and type in "winver" without the quotes, then hit OK

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Chuck Davis wrote:
> For a great and easy way to determine what is on and in your computer,
> download, install and run Belard Advisor. It will show all installed
> Microsoft Hotfixes, software, licenses and keys (from recent versions of
> Office, etc). It's available here: http://www.belarc.com/
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>
>>You have Service Pack 1 installed.
>>The hotfixes labelled SP2 are those that are incorporated in SP-2 and
>>those entries will go away once SP-2 is installed.
>>
>>Follow the Service Pack Installation Checklist to install SP-2:
>>http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
>>
>>--
>>Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>>http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>>

>>"KG" <kgsAT@msbx.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Using winXP home control panel add or remove programs shows Windows XP
>>>Hotfix (SP2) Q819696
>>>installed but control panel, system, general shows System, Microsoft
>>>Windows XP, Home Edition,
>>>Version 2002, Service Pack 1. And windows update doesn't show SP2 after
>>>scanning for needed
>>>updates. Any idea or way I may find out for sure if SP2 is installed, is
>>>there any file unique to
>>>SP2 or anything?
>>>*****************
>>>Thank You kgsAT@msbx.net
>>>
>>>There is nothing so annoying as arguing with somebody who knows what he
>>>is
>>>talking about!
>>>
>>>To reply to this email please remove the AT
>>>after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

seems to me you can just look at the progress bar when XP loads.

All SP2 machines I have seen the bars are a shade of blue;

older versions are a shade of green.

KG

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

Thanks to all, it appears the system is only SP!. Tank Much

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:13:59 -0500, KG <kgsAT@msbx.net> wrote:

>Using winXP home control panel add or remove programs shows Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q819696
>installed but control panel, system, general shows System, Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition,
>Version 2002, Service Pack 1. And windows update doesn't show SP2 after scanning for needed
>updates. Any idea or way I may find out for sure if SP2 is installed, is there any file unique to
>SP2 or anything?
>*****************
>Thank You kgsAT@msbx.net
>
>There is nothing so annoying as arguing with somebody who knows what he is
>talking about!
>
>To reply to this email please remove the AT
>after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Thank You kgsAT@msbx.net

There is nothing so annoying as arguing with somebody who knows what he is
talking about!

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

TRENDING THREADS