[SOLVED] SP8 only detects new SSD from external case

May 3, 2022
Hello,

Got a surface pro 8, I bought a 1TB PM991a SSD.

I cloned my current SSD to the new one. It worked but after 10 mins the SSD crashed and wouldn't start. Cloned it again same thing happened, it worked fine for 10 mins on my cloned ssd, then all of a sudden it BSOD crashes, then it never reboots after loading BIOS. Seems like the data gets corrupted.

So decided on a fresh install. Issue was I was unable to detect the SSD while it's in the SP8 during the Windows 11 install steps through usb boot. But if it's attached to an external case, the new SSD is able to be detected in the Windows install wizard, cant install windows from external case.

I converted the new SSD to GPT via the external case using CMD, I am now able to see it but unable to install Windows still as it gives errors, see attached video. When I refresh the storage, the partitions disappear.

https://streamable.com/34rtgs

Any ideas?

Solution
Hello,

I cloned my current SSD to the new one. It worked but after 10 mins the SSD crashed and wouldn't start. Cloned it again same thing happened, it worked fine for 10 mins on my cloned ssd, then all of a sudden it BSOD crashes, then it never reboots after loading BIOS. Seems like the data gets corrupted.

So decided on a fresh install. Issue was I was unable to detect the SSD while it's in the SP8 during the Windows 11 install steps through usb boot. But if it's attached to an external case, the new SSD is able to be detected in the Windows install wizard, cant install windows from external case.

I converted the new SSD to GPT via the external case using CMD, I am now able to see...
Hello,

I converted the new SSD to GPT via the external case using CMD, I am now able to see it but unable to install Windows still as it gives errors, see attached video. When I refresh the storage, the partitions disappear.

https://streamable.com/34rtgs

Any ideas?
You need to use a real partitioning tool like Gparted to remove that reserved partition. Download

https://downloads.sourceforge.net/gparted/gparted-live-1.4.0-1-amd64.iso

and mount on usb stick using rufus.ie and boot from that usb stick. Delete all remaining partitions so that entire drive is unallocated and verify device is GPT and the install program should work.

Solution