Space above a window when maximised.

jarredmorris

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
I bought myself a new laptop recently and it arrived today.
But I have a problem.

When I maximise a Window, it sometimes leaves space above the window. It is very, very noticeable, at about half a centimetre in height. It doesn't always happen, but when it does, it is only fixed by logging off and back on again, and even then it is only temporarily fixed. If I put my computer onto standby and then bring it back on, the problem is often created, but sometimes it just happens if I launch a program.

The link below goes to a screenshot showing the problem. It leaves space above my window and in that space my desktop is visible.
http://imageupload.org/?d=81C297481

Thanks.

jarredmorris

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Some extra info;
I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

As for graphics, I have two cards, an Intel Graphics 3000 and an Nvidia GT540M. The Nvidia is a dedicated card which is only used for intensive programs, and the crappy Intel one is used for basic stuff to save power. Could this be the cause of the issue.

ogrodafloresta

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
I'm having the same issue here.

Dell N5110 with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Problem goes away when I restart. Appears after coming back from Hibernate.

ogrodafloresta

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Hey, man, is your laptop from Dell? I've found the solution to this issue on their forums, it is happening with all brand new Dell laptops. It has something to do with DataSafe Local Backup. Here's how you can fix it.

"This is caused by a process called toaster.exe. This process belongs to Dell DataSafe Local Backup. One simple way is to uninstall this software. But it seems that this software is integrated into Dell factory image restore, I am not sure it is safe to uninstall. I checked the startup service shown in the msconfig, and found a familiar name, which is SoftThinks Agent Service.SoftThinks is the software vendor who provides this problematic software. So here is the way to get rid of the process toaster.exe:

Open control panel

Double click on the ‘Administrative Tools’

Double clikc on the ‘Services’

Scroll down and find the ‘SoftThinks Agent Service’, change the startup type to ‘Disabled’, and then click ‘OK’.

Restart your computer, problem solved ;).

Source:

nw360.blogspot.com/.../small-top-margin-on-windows-7-desktop.html"

The original post from Dell's forum is this one: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/p/19390103/19907180.aspx

I've just tested the method and it worked.