[SOLVED] Space limit on Disk for Games

MAXHAMPTON

Reputable
Sep 9, 2019
Is It bad when there is a red bar indicating Low space in a Disk that I'm using for installing games?

Is there a consequence or It's just a warning?

Not the C where Windows is installed, I know that disk need space for uptades and things like that.

Solution
If you have an M.2 NVME slot, Intel's 660P is at almost firesale pricing in 1 ($95)and 2 TB ($190) sizes...

If you need standard SATA 2.5" drives, Crucial's MX500 in 1 TB is but about $100 or so....(the last one I tested in my OC'd 7700K got 563 MB/sec sequential reads in CrystalDiskMark!)

You might be able to regain several GB by setting your recycle bin properties manually to only 2-4 GB or so... (one certainly does not need 5-10% of the drive's capacity pre- reserved... for trash)
Yes, it is bad. Once you get to the point where you are getting warnings for a lack of remaining disk space you are definitely seeing MUCH lower performance than when there is ample disk space available AND you can end up getting into a position where you being seeing a variety of errors and other problems, including in some cases possibly some corruption of the drive or early failure given the right circumstances.

For a non OS drive though, it's mostly just a warning, but it will still slow the drive down and since game saves etc. will still be written to the drive, as well as the OS potentially using the drive for virtual memory unless it is disabled for that drive in the advanced system settings, you could still end up getting errors when it gets too low. You really never want to see a drive filled beyond at least about 15-20% free space remaining, at the most.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAXHAMPTON
If you have an M.2 NVME slot, Intel's 660P is at almost firesale pricing in 1 ($95)and 2 TB ($190) sizes...

If you need standard SATA 2.5" drives, Crucial's MX500 in 1 TB is but about $100 or so....(the last one I tested in my OC'd 7700K got 563 MB/sec sequential reads in CrystalDiskMark!)

You might be able to regain several GB by setting your recycle bin properties manually to only 2-4 GB or so... (one certainly does not need 5-10% of the drive's capacity pre- reserved... for trash)

Solution
Also, make sure system restore is turned off for that drive. There is no need for allocating space for system restore on secondary drives although Windows typically does it anyhow. You might be able regain a significant amount of space that way in addition to lowering the reserved recycle bin space for that drive as well.

MAXHAMPTON

Reputable
Sep 9, 2019
1. Please show us a screencap of your current Disk Management window.

2. Install and run either WinDirStat, or WizTree.

Run as Administrator, selecting only the drive in question.
Post a screencap here.
Currently I don't have any Disk with the red bar.
I know If there is like 25gb of free space the red bar appear.
For example the 111 gb SSD has 26 gb of free space, basically I made the question to know If It was safe to use that free space.