Space required to install FSX and/or P3D versions 2,3 & 4 on a new PC

Philhen1943

Honorable
Oct 4, 2016
On a completely new installation of the two main Flight Simulators, can some knowlegeable person advise me how much HDD space I should leave for FSX and P3D versions 3 or 4 to be installed on Windows 7 Pro and/or Windows 10 (Home)?
I intend to have seperate directories for scenery, aircraft (other than the ones that come with the simulators), utilities, weather, navigation, and in fact anything else that should work better on its own.
As always, I thank anyone who reads this and even more so if they can help. I wish you all 'good flying'.

Regards as well,

Philhen.

Solution

I'm not really a fan of drive...

Philhen1943

Honorable
Oct 4, 2016
Hi, Thanks very much for the reply and info. I am sorry that I have to admit that you are completely correct. It is the partitions that are the crux of what I mwant to know, but having said that, I do want to put each program into its own partition, or as near as I can (and previously outlined). My new PC will be supplied with 32MB of memory, a 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive, plus a Seagate 4TB Barracuda 5900RPM HDD, all powered by Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
I appreciate that there is a large quantity of Disc Space, which gives me sacope to arrange the Partitions so that the PC becomes a modular setup rather than a mix of different essentials.

Regards as before,

Philhen

USAFRet

Titan

I'm not really a fan of drive partitions, but...

If you want the actual applications installed on the 4TB, just split into 3 partitions.
1.5TB for FSX, 1.5TB for P3D, and the remaining 1TB for anything else.

Personally, I would do it on individual physical drives.
A 1 or 2TB drive for each flight sim, and another drive for other stuff.
All other applications get installed on the 500GB SSD with the OS.

As space needs increase, it is MUCH easier to swap in new larger drives than to resize partitions.

Solution

Philhen1943

Honorable
Oct 4, 2016
Dear USAFRet,

Once again, my thanks to you for your succinct reply. I agree with your premise that more HDDs would have been better, but as things stand at present, the SSD and the HDD are what I have available - still, it gives me something to aim for in the future.

It always amazes me that when I have a question about computers, there is always someone on 'Tom's Hardware' that knows the answer. If only we could make a computer that would hold the collected wisdom of 'Tom's' suscribers, we would have a much easier ride, but of course, life is not that easy in most cases. Many, many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Philhen
UK

Philhen1943

Honorable
Oct 4, 2016
Thanks to everyone who either read or contributede to this problem. I have now purchased a brand new PC from Chillblast which has quite a strong personality and spec. I shall now have to transfer all my softtware over to the new PC after getting used to such a powerful machine. This really is a step into the unknown!!!!

Regards and happy Flying to all,

Philhen
UK