spam from email

Status
Not open for further replies.

2blind2c

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Hi all
A spam email has been sent to all my contacts in my yahoo email account. The email has my name but not my email address, this is the second time this has happened. I am sure my email account hasn't been hacked because I have a strong password, my recent activity shows only me and I have 2 step verification turned on and as I said the email did not come from my address. The reason I know about this is it came to an email address I have only used once to set up an account so this email shouldn't be in the wild.
The only answer I could find was something to do with yahoo messenger which I never use but was on.
Hope this makes sense......Thanks

2blind2c

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Hi rimmy13
No...my recovery email did not receive the spam message and I don't recognise the email address it came from. The email I received said myname@something.org and in the cc field was a list of all my contacts...

2blind2c

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

Hi... I don't really send many emails so in my contacts are a couple of friends and a few business I have contacted plus the email address I sent a message to a while back to see if it was still working. My friend received the same email as me with my full name but not my email address and underneath was my contact list and then the subject just had a clickable link. I am not very techy when it comes to email and I just cant understand how someone could get my name and contact list without having access to my account

2blind2c

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

Hi...Can't remember clicking on anything dodgy but may have done, I have never used yahoo messenger but when I looked I was signed into. I have checked security settings in yahoo and run a few different scans on my computer and all ok I also signed out of messenger.so I think this is the culprit.

2blind2c

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Hi...I have already run both the programs you suggested and a few others and they found nothing. The yahoo messenger is built into yahoo mail not the stand alone version so I think is more to do with yahoo then my computer. As you said not much I can do now.....thanks for your help

2blind2c

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Hi.....Its the one built into yahoo mail and I didn't realise I was signed into it....its just very strange....I have been looking for an email address for yahoo help but just end up with help articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.