Status
Not open for further replies.
G

DAMN. Looks like it's in great shape - if I hadn't gotten so hammered on my taxes, I'd probably put a bid on it!

- BarfArf

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
hehe...yeah the computer is absolutely loaded :)

and the monitor is cool too. Sparcs are great for playing around and learning UNIX.

The only reason why I'm selling it is because I need a laptop for university :'(

Do u know anyone that wants a sparc?

Thanks

Ming

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That looks interesting... but I know nothing about Sun stations:(
Can Redhat 7.1 be installed on? And since it has a network card, would I be able to hook it up to my home LAN (all Windows PCs)?
Also, how old is this thing?

Basically, it looks attractive, but I have no clue what I'd actually be able to *DO* with it:)

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
Redhat works like a dream on sparcs. You have to to get the version especially made for sparc though. You can hook it up to the windows PCs by running samba. It is not that hard :)

THere are many distribution of linuxes out there made for sparc, such as debian, slackware, mandrake..etc

Also, sparc opens doors to operating systems like solaris, netbsd, openbsd. Those are harder to use systems. If you get into any of those OSes, you'll start learning a lot about unix. Also, if you run netbsd/openbsd, freebsd's port "should" therotically work with the computer. This opens door to many many software packages :)

Also, these systems are supposed to be set-and-forget, they're very realiable. Therefore, if you want to run a dedicated webserver, ftp server... This computer will be great for all those things.

Also, you get to learn a lot about the SUN archtecture. Knowledge is power :)

Sparks

G

I'll just add my $0.02 on this. There are definitely Linux distributions for Sparc. Where I work, I've found that Linux has unquestionably given me a significant amount of insight into how Unix really works, and Sun is generally known as one of the big boys in this area. The Sparcstation 20 is an older machine, but it's a good learner. If you still have it around in a couple of weeks, I'll see if I can put a bid on it - I'll bet that it'll be gone by then, but I can always hope.

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
hehe..I always like the sun's RISC processors. The 20" monitor definitely helps out too. Its a lot more room to work with..even under the console. :)

However, I still prefer BSD over redhat because I started off using FreeBSD and redhat is almost like windows now :) hehe

There's no challenge to use RedHat anymore :)

Sparks

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A Compaq laptop? Thats a joke right? Trust me I made the mistake of buying a commy pak laptop because it was cheap! Compaq and mobile k6-2 do not make a good match!

Somebody call Guinness. I'm about to go zero to drunk in <b>twenty dollars!</b>

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
eeemmm..it has a P3 700

and It has the best hardware in that price range. What is wrong with compaqs anyways? Sorry I'm not into the laptop market that much. What would you get instead?

sparks

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd get an IBM first, but I have a slight favouritism toward those...
Toshiba used to be the best, but it isn't anymore...
DELL's are nice; Their Desktops are shunned by real hardware freaks, but the laptops are very nice:)
Fujitsu is pretty decent; Sony's slim lines of VAIO are awesome...

anything but Compaq basically:)

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
Sony and dell are very expensive for the hardware they have, and futurehop doesn't have any high end IBMs. I don't really like toshibas because of the stuipd pointer mouse thing. Plus i'm getting a deal on this laptop because i know a few ppl that work there :)

Sparks

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey -- it's your choice:)
May you have years of uninterrupted power computing from your new laptop! :)

Thing is though, if you don't -- well, you have been warned:-(

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
hehe...thanks for the suggestion :)

I'll look into it a little more and see what I'll get. I'm buying something in that price range though.i want a P3 700, 128mbs of ram...etc

Sparks

Status
Not open for further replies.