Question Spark in computer wont turn on

Jul 2, 2019
I was playing fortnite the other day when I saw like a spark of electricity in my computer and It made like a noise I can’t reqlly remember it, it was kinda odd noise but it caused my computer to turn of after like 10 seconds of me just looking at my computer wondering what had just happened it started smelling like some sort of burnt hardware and woudlnt turn on no more I was just wondering if I can even get this fixed or if my computer is gone

Jul 2, 2019
Depends what caused the spark, and what else (if anything) it damaged.

Please post your full system specs.
I’ll post everything I know of I got a gtx 970, gigabyte Ga-h110m-s2h-gsm, and al-d500exp . Like I said I’m new to computers I’m very sorry I’ll take a picture and post the link in the forums so u can take a look also

Just a couple wild guesses... that little board sitting on bottom of case could have shorted to the metal case and taken out PSU. Either that or the PSU alone could have just simply blown since it is really not very good unit anyway.

The big problem you face, though: if that sketch PSU blew, it could easily lack protections to prevent blowing the VRM's on the motherboard which would in turn blow the CPU. Yes, everything from CPU to motherboard and maybe even GPU.

And to add to the problem: if you attach new, good parts to it the bad PSU could blow them... or if you attach a good PSU to it the bad parts could blow IT. So you have to take this to someone who knows how to use a meter to check voltages and resistances before swapping in parts if you want to be sure and not damage new ones.

bignastyid

Titan
I’ll post everything I know of I got a gtx 970, gigabyte Ga-h110m-s2h-gsm, and al-d500exp . Like I said I’m new to computers I’m very sorry I’ll take a picture and post the link in the forums so u can take a look also

Thats a bottom of the bargain bin quality PSU and likely what popped, and units of that poor quality are known to take out other parts when they fail.

Reactions: Barty1884
Jul 2, 2019
Dang that really sucks I really hope it was just the psu but I doubt it thank all you guys for helping me out I really appreciate it. I should have probably also noted that the computer is 4 years old

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, that's a very low-quality power supply. Crossing my fingers that if that was went, it didn't take anything with it.

I'd also get some compressed air and do some cleaning in there. There are a lot of random black particles in your components that look like they could be dirt or coffee or ash or something like that. The fans in particular are absolutely filthy. I would strongly urge dealing with that issue for your PC's long-term health.

chalk it up to a failed PSU that was of poor quality to begin with. it must have really been on its way out to be overpowered by a game like fornite. the only thing you can do now is replace the PSU and hope it didn't take anything else out.

and for your sake don't replace it with a cheapo PSU unless you want something like this to happen again or something worse like causing the PC to catch on fire

Jul 2, 2019
chalk it up to a failed PSU that was of poor quality to begin with. it must have really been on its way out to be overpowered by a game like fornite. the only thing you can do now is replace the PSU and hope it didn't take anything else out.

and for your sake don't replace it with a cheapo PSU unless you want something like this to happen again or something worse like causing the PC to catch on fire
I’ve had it for 4 years and nothing like this has ever happened I play fortnite on the lowest quality possible I use to play games like Skyrim and gta with no problems this really caught me by surprise

lynx1021

Distinguished
The best power supply tester is a known good power supply to check with. If you can get a spare power supply you can hook it up outside the case and unhook the old supply 4 pin CPU and board 24pin connectors (GPU Power if used) and connect the spare supply to see if it will boot.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Update on this whole thing, only the power supply was damaged I got a Corsair cx750m and now it’s working fine thanks to all you that helped

That's great news! It's always finger-crossing when a dire power supply blows up. That you only lost the power supply is the best case scenario; you don't lose any parts you want to keep and get a good reason to put in a quality PSU!