Question Spark when plugging in PC, now won't power on

BazmanFoo

Commendable
Oct 22, 2019
Hi,

So today, after doing some maintenance on my PC I went to connect everything back up. As I connected the power cable to the back of the PC, there was a spark and it tripped the power in my house. Power is back but PC won't power on at all. All of the other electronics using the same extension cable (monitors etc) are working fine.

To clarify, I have an ITX build with the PSU in the front. To get around this, Cooler Master have an extension cable running from the back of the PC that plugs in the PSU. The spark was where the power cable meets that extension cable, not from the PSU itself. I tried replacing the power cable in case it was just the fuse, also tried plugging the new cable directly into the PSU. No dice.

I have to assume the PSU is fried, but does a PSU have a fuse that can be replaced? What are the chances that the rest of my components are also damaged? Full specs below

Case: Cooler Master NR200P
PSU: Seasonic SGX 650W
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
MoBo: Aorus B450i ITX
GPU: NVIDIA 3070

Any help is appreciated. Freaking out here.

Thanks

"The spark was where the power cable meets that extension cable, not from the PSU itself. "
In the usual case...if the short was here....nothing should have happened to your system.

So I would have thought this>>>" also tried plugging the new cable directly into the PSU. "

should have worked.

being it didn't...something else may also have happened.

There may be an internal fuse in the PSU that you can try and replace....however if I found it and replaced it I would bench check the PSU for proper voltages before I connected it to anything and tried it.

BazmanFoo

Commendable
Oct 22, 2019
Did you look for burns where you saw the spark? ...and if so....what sparked to what?

No burns anywhere, there wasn't any smoke either, just a brief spark as the cable hit the extension. Seasonic provide a 10 year warranty which I assume is valid here so will go down that route. I'm just stressed about the other components but don't have access to another PSU to test these.

No burns anywhere, there wasn't any smoke either, just a brief spark as the cable hit the extension. Seasonic provide a 10 year warranty which I assume is valid here so will go down that route. I'm just stressed about the other components but don't have access to another PSU to test these.
Most likely it didn't take anything else out...but that's not 100%.

The thing is....if you saw a spark where the power cord connected to the extension...there was obviously a short there and I would expect visible burns...and the big question is....why was there a short there?