Sparkle GeForce 8400 GS PCI video card install problem

x511

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I am trying to add a Sparkle GeForce 8400 GS PCI video card to my desktop. Install instructions say to power down-install the card-reboot-hit F8 for safemode-go to device manager & disable onboard video-install the video card driver-reboot. When I do all of this I try to go into safemode but it bypasses & goes to desktop screen, I get the winxp desktop at a reduced size, it stops loading & freezes up.

My BIOS is normally set to PCI even though I am using integrated on the MB (before video card install).
The requirements for this card are Windows 2000/XP/Vista/available PCI slot/drive for the install CD.
No power connectors go to the card.

Desktop info: HP Pavilion a815n-3.06ghz-4mb Ram/ASUS MB PTGD1-LA/ WinXP

The install instructions & troubleshooting guide on the install CD are very basic, Sparkle support so far
hasn't replied to my support request.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
It sounds like you are doing all the right steps, and that was the right thing to disable. Have you tried the card in another PC? Would help to rule out the computer vs. card issue. If it does not work in a second PC, you should exchange it.
Have you tried to load Windows normally with the PCI video card? Does it detect the new cards as a device? When you hit F8, does it give you a boot selection screen? Maybe you are hitting F8 too soon or too late.

You lockup may be due to a faulty card or an issue with the PCI slot. Try the card in another slot.

x511

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010

Yes I have tried that & all I get was as listed in original post. On my desktop (esc) is for boot selection,
F1 is for setup/BIOS & F10 is recovery from HD partition. As long as I hit F8 before Win/XP screen starts that will always get me to safemode. I have even tried hitting F8 repeatedly. When the reduced desktop screen appears none of my program icons show up. I do get a "found new hardware" on the taskbar.
I have tried all 3 PCI slots with the same results. When I remove the card the heatsink is warm, & remember it is giving me a reduced screen/higher resolution. I was able to install the drivers with the card removed, but this didn't correct anything.

I had an ATI video card installed at one time & I never had these types of problems, & all drivers etc. were removed once I stopped using it.
I am beginning to think that for some reason this card & my MB just aren't compatible.
Thank you for your help & suggestions.

x511

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Before I even received the card I updated the BIOS anticipating
that I could rule this out if I had a problem with the card.
Thanks for your suggestion anyway, appreciate it.

x511

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010

Update 3-16-2011 - I called Sparkle support, they told me to start Windows without the card, disable
onboard video in device mgr. - power off - install card - install drivers.
I am not certain if I should disable whats listed under display adapter or is it something in system devices.
System devices doesn't have any reference to graphic controller.
I ran Belarc advisor & it reports /Display- Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset family which is in Device mgr/Display adapter.
I have not tried this yet - I don't want to lose the display completely-or could I recover/enable onboard video by using F8 safemode if the card doesn't display?

x511

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010

I agree, but it's not happening. Many other Video cards I have installed would load without problems
automatically, without errors. (and I never had to disable anything)

Liu kang baking a pie

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Do you get a 8400 gs pci card? Or is it the Pci-e card?

op remove the card. Then boot up with the onboard.

Download driver sweeper from guru3d then clean out the drivers
Since your on Xp go to start run then enter sfc /purgecache. When you clean out your drivers then switch the pc off.
Now insert the new gpu and boot into windows

x511

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I have PCI. I ran driver sweeper & cleaned files. sfc/purgecache didn't work (windows cannot find) but
I did purge using internet options/delete temp files, etc. Put the card in and nothing changed with the problem I am having, but Thanks for your help anyway.

x511

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
If I disable the onboard video - power down - install the video card - will I be able to get the onboard video back if the card doesn't send a video signal??

If it's disabled in the BIOS, you can restore the BIOS to factory settings, if in Windows you can get it back by starting in Safe Mode.

x511

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010

O.K. I disabled the Display adapter in System/Devices - shutdown - installed card - restarted.
I still can't get any video from this card. (note: my BIOS is normally set to PCI)
I don't know if what I disabled was correct or not, buy I can't find any other reference to graphic controller
in system/devices.

what I disabled: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family [Display adapter]Dell E193FP [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n G6566547L036, April 2005)

what is showing in system/devices: System devices:
ACPI Fixed Feature Button
ACPI Power Button
Direct memory access controller
Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridge - 244E
Intel(R) 82801FB LPC Interface Controller -
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port -
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM SMBus Controller - 266A
Intel(R) 82802 Firmware Hub Device
Intel(R) 915G/P/GV Processor to I/O Controller -
ISAPNP Read Data Port
Microcode Update Device
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver
Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio
Motherboard resources
Motherboard resources
Motherboard resources
Motherboard resources
Motherboard resources
Motherboard resources
Numeric data processor
PCI bus
Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator
Printer Port Logical Interface
Programmable interrupt controller
System board
System board
System CMOS/real time clock
System speaker
System timer
Terminal Server Keyboard Driver
Terminal Server Mouse Driver
Volume Manager

I can only assume that what I disabled was the onboard video chipset.
My BIOS normal setting is PCI - the other choice is onboard.

It sounds like you are doing all the right steps, and that was the right thing to disable. Have you tried the card in another PC? Would help to rule out the computer vs. card issue. If it does not work in a second PC, you should exchange it.

Solution

x511

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010

SOLVED I decided to make one last attempt with this video card before returning it. But 1st I have to admit that I made a stupid mistake on my previous attempt - I realized after booting that I had forgot to
move the video connection to the new card. I moved it after the fact & of course had no video. So I tried again following the previous steps & to my surprise the 1st thing on the screen was the nomenclature for the card. After everything had loaded the card now shows up in device manager & the card appears to be working fine.

Thanks to all the forum users who offered their suggestions & help.

A special Thanks to "hang-the-9" for the numerous replies to my post.

x511

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010

Yes, thats how I felt, believe me. I was getting frustrated & impatient & ready to send the card back.
The good thing is I learned a lot about troubleshooting a graphics card installation with all the forum users input.

Thanks "hang-the-9" :)

After close to 20 years working in IS, I was not long ago imaging a PC with a portable drive. USB Keyboard/Mouse, dual USB connectors on the drive. After imaging I unhooked the 2 USB drive cables, booted up the PC, and could not type anything. Rebooted again, same thing. Opened the case, reset the BIOS, rebooted, no keyboard or mouse action.

Looked on the back of the PC. The 2 USB cables I unplugged where the keyboard and mouse not the hard drive. Stuff like this will happen ;)

LtCable

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Help please!
SO i seem to understand that the solution to install the GeForce 8400GS was to:
disable the
[System device] Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family,
[Display adapter]Dell E193FP
and
[Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n G6566547L036, April 2005)
then
shutdown install the 8400GS and boot.

Well, I have a different list, and cannot figure what to disable (Display Adapter, yes; Monitor, yes; Sytem Device, NO.

System Devices: (not including fans or ACPI devices)
Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port Port "x' - "address"
Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus controller - "address"
Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridgeg - "address"
Intel(R) Management Engine Interface
Intel(R) Z68 Express Chipset Family LPC Interface Controller
PCI bus
PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor Family PCI Express Root Port

Anyone?