Question Sparks after forcing battery cable ?

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Someone I'm volunteering for bought a used Acer E5-573T laptop without a battery. That person then bought a non-OEM battery, a ZTHY, which looks like an OEM one. The first time I plugged it in it didn't look like it was fully in, but I'm no strong man, so I then used long nose pliers to try to have it sit solidly in. I started with a bit of force, 1 side after the other; I then put some more force into it but not my strongest, well a capacitor started to spark; I can't remember if I felt the pliers hit something.

After unplugging the battery, I thought I partly unsoldered the sparking capacitor but it was solidly in, I then looked for signs it was fried but it looked A-okay. I then very delicately and ready to pull hard out, plugged the AC cable in and there was no spark or smoke. I then plugged the battery the deepest I could only using hands and no spark, I then unplugged it. I suspect the reason that laptop was sold is that there was a battery-related issue (including bad capacitor for that).

I'm now wondering what to do. The first thing I'd like to do is testing if I can still use the laptop without a battery, but I'd like others opinion in case it makes things worse for the laptop, or perhaps even is a risk (eg catching fire). I'm--very--worried about fully charging the battery, as if something happened involving it, there's a lot of energy in that thing; and I don't have a garage or a shed I could test it in, which if it caught fire it would just make things unsightly.

Please keep in mind the value of the laptop is only worth enough to warrant the cheapest of repairs (eg 75$). Any advice?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Old, used, likely previously damaged.

And now even more so. Seen and unseen damages.

The laptop cannot be trusted for any use.

Just getting an assessment/repair estimate likely to cost more than $75.00

Found the used laptop being sold from around half that amount to that amount.

Laptop is not worth any amount for repair. Or any use - indeed being risky.

If possible, salvage the laptop drive and responsibly recycle the rest: laptop and battery.

Just my thoughts on the matter.