Question Sparks from mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

QFX

Jan 14, 2022
I was playing RDR2 when I saw a bright spark from my computer and heard a pop, this was the second time this happened, both times the computer just restarted. How worried should i be, and what should i do?

ASUS PRIME B450M-A II
CoolerMaster MWE 750 White 230V - V2

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
I was playing RDR2 when I saw a bright spark from my computer and heard a pop, this was the second time this happened, both times the computer just restarted. How worried should i be, and what should i do?

ASUS PRIME B450M-A II
CoolerMaster MWE 750 White 230V - V2
Which graphics card are you using?
Unless you're using something more powerful than a GTX 1050 ti, thats not that bad of a PSU.
Wires might be lose. You should check the chassis.

Every time I've seen this happen it's been a cap in the PSU blowing up, but inspect everything else carefully.

Amusingly, each time this happened the office PCs also ran fine until the now open-topped cap finally dried up, usually not until the next day. As the others are worried about, this can generate a whole lot of ripple to damage other components so you really shouldn't continue to run an expensive enthusiast PC like this.

I've had power mosfets blow up too during burn-in testing, with lots of exciting flying shrapnel, but you don't get the bright flash

Status
Not open for further replies.