[SOLVED] Sparks from the wall socket with PC plugged in

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
553
20
915
16
I hate to say this but the wiring in my house is pretty messed up. Today, when I turned on my computer, I could hear and see sparks from the PSU plug. It was constant and did not go away before I plugged it out. (I know its dangerous to touch).

Also, the HDMI ports of my PC and monitors have Power, even if they are unplugged. If I touch the HDMI cable to the monitor's metal casing near the HDMI port, I can see some nice white sparks. The same happens when I plug the HDMI cable to my graphics card.


Specs:
Acer KG241Q Monitor
Zebronics H61
Coolermaster MWE Bronze V2 450 watt
GT 1030 GALAX EXOC GDDR5

There is no problem in booting, but it is never good to see live sparks
 

geofelt

Titan
Do not boot or try to run your pc until you get this fixed.
You risk not only your safety, but permanent damage to your PC!!!
First check your outlet.
They must be properly grounded.
A simple tester like this is <$10:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Gear-3-Wire-Receptacle-Tester-50542/206212329?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D27E-G-D27E-027_011_TOOLS_ACC-NA-NA-Feed-SMART-NA-NA-New_Engen&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D27E-G-D27E-027_011_TOOLS_ACC-NA-NA-Feed-SMART-NA-NA-New_Engen-71700000072501775-58700006340111859-92700057208561306&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsZKJBhC0ARIsAJ96n3XGwwunrLsOyx1QGhuoeVVttpzxWmnAAPY-mxjrHBomFg9xKewCPcgaAmfNEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Any fault needs to be fixed by a competent electrician.

If the outlet is ok, then change out the psu to wall power cable. They are standard but some are of higher capacity gauge.

Coolermaster power supplies can be iffy.
If the outlet is ok, I would borrow a known good psu to test with.

Even with a pc unplugged, there will still be some residual capacitative voltage present for several seconds.
That is normal.

Sparks of any kind, any where is not.
 
Reactions: Krotow

jay32267

Champion
I hate to say this but the wiring in my house is pretty messed up. Today, when I turned on my computer, I could hear and see sparks from the PSU plug. It was constant and did not go away before I plugged it out. (I know its dangerous to touch).

Also, the HDMI ports of my PC and monitors have Power, even if they are unplugged. If I touch the HDMI cable to the monitor's metal casing near the HDMI port, I can see some nice white sparks. The same happens when I plug the HDMI cable to my graphics card.


Specs:
Acer KG241Q Monitor
Zebronics H61
Coolermaster MWE Bronze V2 450 watt
GT 1030 GALAX EXOC GDDR5

There is no problem in booting, but it is never good to see live sparks
Get the outlet repaired by someone who knows what they're doing.
 

Krotow

Estimable
I hate to say this but the wiring in my house is pretty messed up. Today, when I turned on my computer, I could hear and see sparks from the PSU plug. It was constant and did not go away before I plugged it out. (I know its dangerous to touch).

Also, the HDMI ports of my PC and monitors have Power, even if they are unplugged. If I touch the HDMI cable to the monitor's metal casing near the HDMI port, I can see some nice white sparks. The same happens when I plug the HDMI cable to my graphics card.

Specs:
Acer KG241Q Monitor
Zebronics H61
Coolermaster MWE Bronze V2 450 watt
GT 1030 GALAX EXOC GDDR5

There is no problem in booting, but it is never good to see live sparks
Replug PSU cable. If sparks still appear, replace the cable or PSU outlet.
 

geofelt

Titan
Do not boot or try to run your pc until you get this fixed.
You risk not only your safety, but permanent damage to your PC!!!
First check your outlet.
They must be properly grounded.
A simple tester like this is <$10:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Gear-3-Wire-Receptacle-Tester-50542/206212329?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D27E-G-D27E-027_011_TOOLS_ACC-NA-NA-Feed-SMART-NA-NA-New_Engen&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D27E-G-D27E-027_011_TOOLS_ACC-NA-NA-Feed-SMART-NA-NA-New_Engen-71700000072501775-58700006340111859-92700057208561306&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsZKJBhC0ARIsAJ96n3XGwwunrLsOyx1QGhuoeVVttpzxWmnAAPY-mxjrHBomFg9xKewCPcgaAmfNEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Any fault needs to be fixed by a competent electrician.

If the outlet is ok, then change out the psu to wall power cable. They are standard but some are of higher capacity gauge.

Coolermaster power supplies can be iffy.
If the outlet is ok, I would borrow a known good psu to test with.

Even with a pc unplugged, there will still be some residual capacitative voltage present for several seconds.
That is normal.

Sparks of any kind, any where is not.
 
Reactions: Krotow

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS