Speaker Set up

sarilm

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Hi All,

My laptop is connected to Sony 5.1 Channel home theatre through a RCA cable, however under Speakers Properties, I see the surround speaker option grayed out. I use Windows 7 Basic.
Below is the steps that I follow:
Sounds>Right Click>Playback Devices>Playback>Speakers>Right Click>Configure Speakers>Next>Front Left and Right> Surround Option is grayed out. How do I activate the surround options???

Please help

Solution
If anything gave you an option for 5.1 or 7.1 using a single RCA connection, you were only getting 2 channels from it, the rest was being dropped on the floor.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
You can't over a single rca connection. The speakers might be surround and the source might be surround but the connection isn't. You need to use either HDMI, or an optical Spdif (which is a little complicated)

sarilm

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

So you mean to say, if its connected through HDMI, the option automatically gets activated?
But I earlier used Windows XP computer which was again connected to a 2.1 Channel speakers, however under Windows xp i remember, we had the option to select the speaker setup, like 5.1, 7.1 channel from the drop down list, though the connection was 2.1, do we not have that option in windows 7?