[SOLVED] Speaker/Subwoofer Matching

Feb 29, 2020
Hi People,
For my PC set up I currently use a pair of Edifier EDFR980T Active Bookshelf speakers as they fit perfectly with my current desk set up. I have the option to get a Wharfedale SW-150 Sub wooferfor a very cheap price. I was wondering if this sub would be a good match or would be too overpowering? This is not my area of expertise so any advice would be appreciated.
Many Thanks

Solution
Really glad to hear it should be a simple process. Do you think this sub is a good match for the speakers in terms of the watts or would it be too overpowered?

Thanks
I have no direct experience with any of these speakers. But wattage is not really the issue. Getting the crossover balanced so that you don't have a "bump" in the tone when both the sub and satellites are playing the same tone. You may have to get some test audio which has continuous tones that you can use to balance the parts.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi People,
For my PC set up I currently use a pair of Edifier EDFR980T Active Bookshelf speakers as they fit perfectly with my current desk set up. I have the option to get a Wharfedale SW-150 Sub wooferfor a very cheap price. I was wondering if this sub would be a good match or would be too overpowering? This is not my area of expertise so any advice would be appreciated.
Many Thanks
Since those are active speakers, you can use the line-in and line-out of the SW-150. That will allow you to use the crossover controls on the back of the sub to limit the low frequencies going to the bookshelf speakers. Then you would use the volume control on the sub to balance with the bookshelf. Get some audio you are very familiar with and listen to it on good headphones. Then switch to the speakers and tweak the controls to closely match the headphones.

Feb 29, 2020
Since those are active speakers, you can use the line-in and line-out of the SW-150. That will allow you to use the crossover controls on the back of the sub to limit the low frequencies going to the bookshelf speakers. Then you would use the volume control on the sub to balance with the bookshelf. Get some audio you are very familiar with and listen to it on good headphones. Then switch to the speakers and tweak the controls to closely match the headphones.
Really glad to hear it should be a simple process. Do you think this sub is a good match for the speakers in terms of the watts or would it be too overpowered?

Thanks

kanewolf

Titan

Thanks
I have no direct experience with any of these speakers. But wattage is not really the issue. Getting the crossover balanced so that you don't have a "bump" in the tone when both the sub and satellites are playing the same tone. You may have to get some test audio which has continuous tones that you can use to balance the parts.

Solution