MrBlaBlaBla

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2014
I'll try to be as detailed as possible on this but I don't know a single thing about electricity so I apologize if I miss on any information.

I've got a PC which only has one aux port, which means that whenever I want to use my headset, I have to disconnect my speakers from the PC, but now I've noticed that the aux cord from the speakers will shock me when I touch its tip whenever I do this. Not a very strong shock, but still strong enough to let my fingers tingling for a while. I've tried touching metal to discharge myself for static purposes before doing this process. Details which I assume may be important:

1. Both the speakers and the pc are over carpet, however as I said, I've touched metal before doing this
  2. Both the speakers and the pc are connected to the same power strip
  3. The model of the speakers is an Edifier R1000T4
  4. The model of the motherboard of my PC, to which I connect the aux to, is an MSI Z270 SLI PLUS
  5. While the speakers remain connected to the power strip when I do this process, I turn off their power button first
  6. The plug for the speakers is a two-prong one, but the power strip they (and the PC) are conneted too is a three-prong plug
  7. I've heard no weird sounds and the performance of the pc and the sound quality of the speakers hasn't been affected

I'm afraid this might end up frying up my pc or my speakers over time, though I haven't noticed any change yet, or that the electric shock might end becoming more powerful and actually frying me up. If it is normal and it will stay that way, and I just need to try to avoid touching the aux cord to getting that small shock, then I suppose I can live with that

Here's the link with pics of the setup, including the power strip which at the moment has the speakers, the pc, the pc monitor and a phone charger (with no phone connected to it) connected:

View: https://imgur.com/a/XS42IAg

I'd be really grateful if you guys could help me . English isn't my mother tongue and since, as I said, I don't know about electronics I'm sorry if there's anything missing. I've seen that you can buy USB to aux/mic adapters which would spare me the process of connecting/disconnecting the speakers everytime I try to use my headset but I'm afraid the sound quality might be affected if I don't connect them directly to the pc which would be a problem for me since, besides gaming, I also listen to a lot of music. I don't know if that's a valid solution since the shock problem would still exist and, I suppose, it isn't normal that it is happening.

Also since I don't have electric tools I'm not sure how to test eventual solutions without well, touching the aux cord myself again.

Again, thanks for any help you can give me!

Solution
Put the speakers on stands, a few feet on either side of the monitor, pointing a bit towards the center where you sit by a few degrees. They are not meant to be on the floor like this.

Keep the speaker connected to the rear speaker out, computer should have front audio ports on the case you can use for the headset, odd that you are actually unplugging things.

Another option is to use an external DAC/AMP with aux out to keep the headphones in and use the speakers as well. What type depends on if your headset is a headset with a mic or just a headphone. I use an FX-Audio DAC6 but with headphones and a USB Mic.
hi, there is some small voltage, which most people wouldnt feel
voltage depends on amplifier power
if its just soundcard pre-amp, than about 20watt max (about 12volts)

so, it should be best if u connecting/disconnecting speakers when they are turned off (to prevent speaker damage), thats what most speaker manuals say aswell

as for amp itself, it should have short circuit break protection

a side note, most headphones when plugged in to pc will turn off sound in speakers, that port is marked (headphone icon) on mainboard io panel behind pc
or u can use front panel heaphone plug
ports can be configured in realtek control panel

MrBlaBlaBla

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2014
hi, there is some small voltage, which most people wouldnt feel
voltage depends on amplifier power
if its just soundcard pre-amp, than about 20watt max (about 12volts)

so, it should be best if u connecting/disconnecting speakers when they are turned off (to prevent speaker damage), thats what most speaker manuals say aswell

as for amp itself, it should have short circuit break protection

a side note, most headphones when plugged in to pc will turn off sound in speakers, that port is marked (headphone icon) on mainboard io panel behind pc
or u can use front panel heaphone plug
ports can be configured in realtek control panel
I really appreciate your reply!

As I said, while I don't unplug the speakers when I do this process I do turn off their power button, and the PC only has one aux port so I have to disconnect them when I want to connect the headset.

As for the watts, the speakers have "100-240V ~ 50/60Hz 225mA" written on the back. Don't know if that's what you were talking about

So besides those things you say this may be normal? As I said the shock isn't that big but it still leaves my finger tingling for some minutes so I suppose it is still stronger than your random everyday static shock, but if it still is normal then I suppose I can deal with it

MrBlaBlaBla

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2014
If it is of any help, the shock I feel isn't your typical random static shock that you might feel everyday. It is like a constant electric current that I feel flowing through my fingers. Not strong, but strong enough to leave my fingers tingling for minutes after I stopped touching it

Put the speakers on stands, a few feet on either side of the monitor, pointing a bit towards the center where you sit by a few degrees. They are not meant to be on the floor like this.

Keep the speaker connected to the rear speaker out, computer should have front audio ports on the case you can use for the headset, odd that you are actually unplugging things.

Another option is to use an external DAC/AMP with aux out to keep the headphones in and use the speakers as well. What type depends on if your headset is a headset with a mic or just a headphone. I use an FX-Audio DAC6 but with headphones and a USB Mic.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
And I will go back a bit.

You should not be feeling any shocks at all. Something is wrong.

Likely a short in the speakers. Eventually that situation may cause you more harm (at worst) or simply fry your PC (at best).

Find a family member or friend who has a multi-meter (electrical test instrument) and knows how to use it.

Determine the source of the current being felt (the shock) and then repair or replace that device.

In the meantime, power everything down, unplug all wires and cables.

Inspect for signs of damage, metal to metal contact, bare metal showing in wires, wires in tight/close contact, kinks, hard bends, smashed or cut.

Check pins and sockets.

Do not reconnect anything with signs of damage.

The problem must be found and fixed.