Speakers crackle when WiFi is enabled

CMCalhoun99

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
I bought some cheap speakers from Amazon to replace some hand-me-downs from my brother. They're pretty okay speakers but are crackling CONSTANTLY. A few days ago my house lost internet so I turned off the WiFi in windows 10. Instantly the crackling/static stopped. I tested it for a few more hours as I played video games and I experienced no static. When we got internet back I re enabled WiFi and the crackling returned. Is there any way to stop the static permanently? And why does it only crackle when WiFi is on?

Speakers:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GHY5JAO/ref=twister_B00TTC9164?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

PC Setup:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bq8KsJ

Solution
That is radio interference, once fairly common to hear in cars. Because mobile phones are so common now about all relevant gear are shielded, and it's rare to hear it. Anything with a radio transmitter would do that when close enough.

Try to put speaker volumes on full in Windows, and adjust the volume only from the speakers, and try to keep the wifi device as far from the speakers and the audio cable as possible.

I'm a little bit supriced that such speakers are not shielded, they don't seem cheap enough. Are you any chance using some extension cord with them, for the audio part? I think that interference is usually picked up through a cable. Or the amplifier.

akseli

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
That is radio interference, once fairly common to hear in cars. Because mobile phones are so common now about all relevant gear are shielded, and it's rare to hear it. Anything with a radio transmitter would do that when close enough.

Try to put speaker volumes on full in Windows, and adjust the volume only from the speakers, and try to keep the wifi device as far from the speakers and the audio cable as possible.

I'm a little bit supriced that such speakers are not shielded, they don't seem cheap enough. Are you any chance using some extension cord with them, for the audio part? I think that interference is usually picked up through a cable. Or the amplifier.

Solution