Speakers not being detected in Windows 10

twulax

Prominent
May 16, 2017
I just built a computer yesterday running Windows 10 and the speakers are not being detected. I installed the audio drivers from the ASRock website. When I click on the little speaker icon it brings up the troubleshooter and then says no problem has been identified. When I right click it and go to 'Playback devices' it shows four things all saying 'NVIDIA Output.' I have uninstalled and reinstalled the realtek audio drivers about 20 times and sometimes it'll change the Playback devices to say 'HD Audio Output,' but still nothing is being detected. If someone could provide any answers or help that would be greatly appreciated.

MOBO: ASRock AB350 Pro4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X

UPDATE: I bought a USB audio adapter, plugged the speakers into that and it started working. Still not exactly sure what the problem was but it was a $6 fix so I'm just glad I could get everything working.

Solution
The Device Manager should have the sound device listed even when no drivers are installed. The name of course would be different, not realtek, but it would be in sound tab anyway. If it's not, I can only see two reasons for that:
> basic motherboard drivers not installed (intel boards don't need that to show sound device, but maybe amd boards work different)
> motherboard is faulty

twulax

Prominent
May 16, 2017

Just to the front speaker out port on the motherboard. I also tried plugging headphones in to the front audio out port on the case but again nothing happened.

twulax

Prominent
May 16, 2017
Yep I've installed the drivers several different times. I've tried the drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard, the ASRock website, the realtek website, even tried some other sites and none of them seem to fix it.

The Device Manager should have the sound device listed even when no drivers are installed. The name of course would be different, not realtek, but it would be in sound tab anyway. If it's not, I can only see two reasons for that:
> basic motherboard drivers not installed (intel boards don't need that to show sound device, but maybe amd boards work different)
> motherboard is faulty

Solution

twulax

Prominent
May 16, 2017
I have a feeling it might be that the motherboard is just faulty, but I don't know if it's worth it to do an RMA over just the audio not working. I'm going to order a USB audio adapter to see if it works through that first.

twulax

Prominent
May 16, 2017
So yeah if I connect my monitor with an HDMI the sound comes out of it, but the speakers built into the monitor are not the best. Also, my monitor unfortunately does not have any audio out ports, just an audio in so I'm a little out of luck that way. Hopefully the USB audio adapter works though and I can just get by like that.

Fabianbenito

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017

Was this issue ever solved? I'm having the same issue. I just rebuild my computer with a Asrock X370 killer motherboard and the AMD Ryzen processor everything works great but when I plug in the speakers it detects that I plugged it in but it says "no speaker or headphone plugged in" everything that was described here is what happening to me and I can't figure it out. I ordered a replacement motherboard just in case but I feel like this issue can be fixed. Any thoughts?

twulax

Prominent
May 16, 2017

It wasn't necessarily solved, but I was able to get the speakers to be recognized using this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It just plugs into a USB port and then givers you a speaker out and a mic in. I haven't had any problems my speakers since getting it.