Speakers or Headphone?

G

I wonder what kinds of pros and cons are there between surround speakers and headphones. Is there anything a good headset won't be able to do that speakers could? All other things being equal, I would rather get a good set of headphones. (And if talking of headphones, what kind is best?)

Leo

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The BEST soundcard for headphones is ANY of the Vortex2 equiped cards as they can simulate 3d though headphones using A3D 2.0. As for which headphones to use, try out different ones until you find some you like.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

Thanks!

I have actually found some quite impressive headphones that do all the decoding themselves. But they're several times more expensive than even a sound card! :)

Leo

G

It appears that Hercules Game Theater XP has the ability to deliver surround 5.1 sound through normal stereo headphones. I wonder if SoundBlaster Platinum could... Any ideas?

Leo

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have heard it can't. I am not happy at all with my Soundblaster LIve sound when compared to my Vortex2 sound. A3D was originally designed for headphones, it changes the pitch of certain sounds slightly to mimick the changes sound makes when it encounters the ear from different directions. That's why I suggested it. Those are available in many different brands, the Aureal SQ2500, Diamond MX300, Turtle Beach (Santa Cruze I think), and many others.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

Well, if it's all about A3D, then I guess SoundBlaster doesn't have it. Seeing as Hercules Game Theater supports A3D 1.0, that's what I'm going with, then. Those are the only two sound cards with breakout boxes, it seems. And that's an absolute MUST in my circumstances, never mind headphones or anything else.

Thanks for advice! :)

Leo

G

I make music with a program called Acid 2.0, and hope to be upgraded to Reason soon. For completely experiencing the sounds and music, nothing will ever beat a set of headphones (the heavier the better, just like mics.) Unfortunately, when you are making music or sounds, headphones give you a false impression of what everyone else will be experiencing through their speakers. So, I would say that it depends on what you are wanting to do while using the headphones or speakers. If you are wanting to make or edit a video game or music, you should mainly use speakers, because that is what the majority of your audience is going to be using, and use headphones to find flaws in sounds or music. However, if you are a listener, you should put on the headphones. Headphones will allow you to experience everything. Me, I have a set of 16's next to my monitor, and a heavy DJ headset next to my mouse; the best of both worlds ;). LOL!

Thank you for your time,

Iceburn

G

Thanks!

I am a listener, so I'm gonna heed your advice about headphones. My plan is now to use headphones for listening to music, watching movies, and playing games (being quiet at nighttime as one of the factors). I might want to switch to a pair of primitive speakers (not weighing heavily on my ears) for anything else that doesn't need surround sound (such as general computing, etc.). Therefore, I would need a breakbox for all that switching back and forth, since my computer furniture is great in all respects... but one: it is an excruciating pain in the butt to get to the back of the computer case!!! :)

In other words, it appears I should go with Hercules Game Theater XP, the only card with a breakout box and that supports surround sound for headphones (A3D) at the same time.

Leo