Question Speakers recognised when plugged into rear panel but no sound - Asrock Fatal1ty B-450 ITX (Realtek ALC 1220)

Jun 7, 2019
Please, can someone help as I'm pulling my hair out!

I recently built my first PC on the Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard & Ryzen (3 2200G) with a clean install of Win 10 Pro (OEM version) etc. It's purred ever since I fired it all up and my Bluetooth headphones have worked like a charm since I first tried them (and still do).

However, I recently got some Creative Pebble Plus speakers as part of the finishing touches to my set up but cannot for the life in me get any sound through them from the PC. I've checked everything I can think of:

• the wire from speakers is plugged into the lime coloured port on the rear panel (according to the mobo manual)
  • nothing is muted
  • default device is set properly
  • checked speakers work (using my mobile)
  • checked headphones work on mobile (they do) but these also get nothing when wired into the PC
  • checked BIOS has audio enabled (I think it was under 'south bridge configuration' - over my head, but I followed a post on here if I recall)

Then, I realised that the audio driver was a Microsoft one. Thinking I'd cracked it, I then installed the appropriate Realtek audio driver from the specific Asrock download page for my specific mobo (meaning it is the latest ALC1220 codec - checked many times!), but... nothing.

The rear panel port is not fried because when I plug the speakers it makes a short static noise for a moment (as speakers tend to when being plugged in) and in the Realtek Audio Control app it lights up the lime port (and goes out when I remove). Also, when music is playing (on say YouTube or Google Play etc) the little green equalizer in 'Manage audio devices' shows up so it seems the issue is purely around the driver/ mobo connecting the sounds to the speakers??

I am at an absolute loss after spending two days trying out different drivers (being honest, it took me until this morning to actually locate the driver on the Asrock mobo page!), going round in circles doing the above list over and over, restart after restart but nothing seems to work... I've read countless posts on here and other places about issues with Realtek drivers etc but only a couple were exactly like my issue (albeit on different mobos), but the solutions they found don't seem to apply (rolling back driver update & somehow not using the Sound Blaster Audigy that my mobo comes with - no idea what this even means tbh).

Any help would be seriously appreciated - anyone else suffering with a similar issue?

Thanks
Gav

Jun 7, 2019
In Windows have you clicked on the volume portion of the taskbar and changed it to use the rear panel for sound?

Hi Jeremy, thanks for replying - not sure... it just says 'Speakers (Realtek (R) Audio) down there and there are a couple of other options, one being digital etc.

Is there something I've missed? I can't find any menu or options to choose 'rear panel' for sound...

#godknowshowtofixthis!

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019
I've raised a ticket at Asrock support but god knows when I'll hear from them.

Could an outdated bios cause any kind of issue like this? When raising the ticket with Asrock I had to put in the bios version (which is P1.20) and it occurred to me that when looking for Realtek drivers this seems to be quite an old one... could it be just a case of bad luck and the bios needs updating?