Question Speakers plugged into motherboard are not outputting sound unless something is plugged in to the front panel ?

Oct 21, 2022
Hello.

I have had to move a PC do a different location, and before i did it, the speakers that were plugged into the Mobo worked perfectly fine.

However, when I moved the PC and plugged in the exact same peripherals that were in it before, when I tried playing music on it, the speakers wouldn't work

I tested the speakers with my mobile and they worked fine. I then decided to grab my earbuds to check if the port was broken, and decided to at first plug them into the front panel.

Lo and behold, as i plug the earbuds into the front panel, the speakers start to work, and not the earbuds.
For now i plugged the speakers into the front panel, as it does work, however Im wondering has anyone had this issue?

Oct 21, 2022
Power down, unplug, open the case.

Check all connections to the front panel ports.

Likely a loose connection. Especially if wiggling the plugs (speaker, earbuds, etc.) affects the audio.
you misunderstood me

i plugged the speakers into the motherboard, aka back IO ports, there was no sound
i unplug it a few times then plug it in, and still nothing

THEN i plug a pair of earbuds into front panel, while speakers are plugged into back IO panel
and SPEAKERS start to work

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model information for speakers, earbuds, sound card, etc..

= = = =

If the speakers only work when the earbuds are plugged in then the earbuds are acting as a switch.

That is to say, the earbuds are completing some circuit that allows the speakers to receive an audio signal.

Do the speakers work if you plug in known working headphones or a headset into the front panel?

Some plug or port is not properly connected. Maybe mis-matched. Or even defective. Could also be an audio loop of some sort; however, that would likely result in other audio problems.

What you must do is to take a careful look at the devices and connections. TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve).

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Also right click the small speaker icon normally located in the lower right screen corner.

An audio menu will appear with five choices (may vary). Each choice leads to additional windows, tabs, and configuration settings.

Take a look at the settings to verify that all are correct and configured as you expect.

Try to narrow down the circumstances and learn more about what is (or is not) happening.

Oct 4, 2024
you misunderstood me

i plugged the speakers into the motherboard, aka back IO ports, there was no sound
i unplug it a few times then plug it in, and still nothing

THEN i plug a pair of earbuds into front panel, while speakers are plugged into back IO panel
and SPEAKERS start to work
Hey i cleaned out my pc today and this just randomly started happening and youre the only person i can find thats had this issue, exactly the same my speakers dont work from the back io ports enless i have headphones plugged into the front, did you find out at all how i can fix it?

KingLoki

Proper
Jul 10, 2024
1. Remove any audio devices from the front ports.
2. Right-Click on the speaker icon in the right hand side of the taskbar, bottom of page.
3. Click on Sounds
4. You should see Speakers (that are plugged into the rear of the pc
5. Double-click on the Speakers Device to open the properties of your speakers.
6. Look in the General Section and look down lower to see what the Jack Information says. Does it say Rear Panel and show the jacks relating to left/right etc.
7. At the bottom of the general window is a Device Usage Drop-Down box. Does it say Use this device (enable) ??
If it does then windows is picking up the jacks as correctly configured.
Try that and then we can see where we can go from there. Cheers

Last edited: