Speakers Work, Sound Card Recognized by XP, No Sound

drewtweedie

Honorable
May 20, 2013
I'm unable to get sound working on this computer. I know the speakers aren't faulty, and I'm fairly sure the sound card still works (have no headphones to test the front jack at the moment).

So far, I tried disabling/enabling Realtek High Definition Audio in Control Panel, uninstalled above, and installed original drivers from HP. The speakers are plugged in, receiving power, and turned on. The lime green speaker plug is in the lime green 3.5 mm jack on the back of the computer. I've checked the BIOS to make sure sound is enabled, and restored to defaults. The computer's model is HP a1023c and I have replaced the case and a faulty PSU if that makes any difference.

Update 1/12/14:
I was able to get my hands on some headphones, and they're not receiving sound under the same conditions above. Have tried turning off and unplugging speakers as well when headphones are plugged in to no avail. Makes me lean towards the sound card being faulty. How could I further diagnose this issue? As an addendum, where could I figure out what expansion slot sound cards would work with this motherboard? Thanks.

Solution
Leave speakers connected to rear panel jack. Disconnect the cable for front panel audio from the motherboard.

Go into device manager and see is XP see and believes your sound card it there....

jb6684

Distinguished
Leave speakers connected to rear panel jack. Disconnect the cable for front panel audio from the motherboard.

Go into device manager and see is XP see and believes your sound card it there....

Solution

drewtweedie

Honorable
May 20, 2013

I'll give this a shot and report back. For the record, there is no sound card listed under "Sound, video, and game controllers" in Device Manager, just Realtek HD Audio. Is that how it should appear?

drewtweedie

Honorable
May 20, 2013

So what I had forgotten to do when reconnecting cables to the motherboard was plug in the audio. Always the little things. Thanks jb6684 and Anub1s.