[SOLVED] Spec Upgrade Help For Photo/Video Editing & Gaming

Nov 10, 2020
Hello all!

It's been like 3/4 years since I got my Pre Built PC and I think it's time to upgrade...
I'm kinda hoping someone may have any advice on what parts of my specs they would need upgrading first? And what would you choice to have? As I have don't have any good knowledge unfortunately haha!

My editing programs I use are photoshop & premiere pro! But would like to use maybe lightroom and after effect! Gaming wise, only playing games atm like Football Manager and other small games, but will be streaming them as well!
Budget wise anything from £700-1200 for upgrades!

Processor (CPU)
Intel core i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Motherboard
H110M PRO-VD (MS-7996)
Memory (RAM)
8GB
Graphics Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Power Supply
atx switching power supply a-850br

Unsure what I have missed out?

Any advice or help would be brilliant

Solution
I have these for my monitors - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OMP887G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regarding hardware calibrator I currently don't have one and the backup hardware I will have to purchase a new one due to my brother taking it just before lockdown happened again... If you have any recommendations that would be awesome, sorry on being a pain!
Not a pain, but I just wanted to be sure you didn't spend ALL your money and leave yourself with holes in a complete system.
I recommend getting a commercial NAS unit for your backup location. QNAP, Thecus or Synology brands.

Silly question to ask also, if I get a full new pre built PC how can I transfer my current stuff onto the...
Nov 10, 2020
Thank you! Will check them out very soon, appreciate the help!

Silly question to ask also, if I get a full new pre built PC how can I transfer my current stuff onto the new one? USB or is there another option? Only say that cause I have loads of stuff for work and other things on this current one! Sorry to bother and ask.

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Silly question to ask also, if I get a full new pre built PC how can I transfer my current stuff onto the new one? USB or is there another option? Only say that cause I have loads of stuff for work and other things on this current one! Sorry to bother and ask.

You can take the old hard drive out of your current PC and put it into the new one.

Nov 10, 2020
What do you have for monitors? Do you have a hardware calibrator? What is your backup hardware?
For a photo build, things besides the PC are just as important?
I have these for my monitors - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OMP887G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regarding hardware calibrator I currently don't have one and the backup hardware I will have to purchase a new one due to my brother taking it just before lockdown happened again... If you have any recommendations that would be awesome, sorry on being a pain!

kanewolf

Titan

Not a pain, but I just wanted to be sure you didn't spend ALL your money and leave yourself with holes in a complete system.
I recommend getting a commercial NAS unit for your backup location. QNAP, Thecus or Synology brands.

You will want to do a clean OS install with a new system. You can reuse your Windows license.
You will have to reinstall most of your commercial software.

Solution
Nov 10, 2020

You will want to do a clean OS install with a new system. You can reuse your Windows license.
You will have to reinstall most of your commercial software.
Thank you! I will make sure I grab myself one of them, I appreciate the help with that.

That's fine I don't mind reinstalling my windows licence and reinstalling my other software's I have. Just very happy you and the other people helped me.