Special memory in Dimension 8250

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

The Dimension 8250 seems to use a "special" kind of memory (RIMM PC1066)
that costs a lot more than "standard" memory. My 8250 came with 256 meg and
I want to increase the amount to 512 or a gig. Can I just add
"regular"memory-- or maybe pull the OEM stuff and sell it on Ebay (it seems
to go for plenty) and then just replace with a gig of the "regular" stuff?

Would the computer still work? Would it slow down?

Edw.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Special Ed" <chasham97NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:M6Wbd.5472$NX5.916@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> The Dimension 8250 seems to use a "special" kind of memory (RIMM PC1066)
> that costs a lot more than "standard" memory. My 8250 came with 256 meg
> and I want to increase the amount to 512 or a gig. Can I just add
> "regular"memory-- or maybe pull the OEM stuff and sell it on Ebay (it
> seems to go for plenty) and then just replace with a gig of the "regular"
> stuff?
>
> Would the computer still work? Would it slow down?
>
> Edw.

The 8250 uses Rambus memory - you replace Rambus with Rambus, you cant
exchange it for cheaper generic bog standard memory.

Intel pushed Rambus as being the next generation memory and Dell jumped on
the bandwagon. Dell jumped off the bandwagon pretty quickly when they
discovered how much Rambus ate into their profit margins.

And then Intel abandoned Rambus altogether.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Intel and the rest of the industry abandoned Rambus because the Rambus company
threw lawsuits at almost everyone in sight for using patented intellectual
property without paying royalties. Rambus was damned expensive to begin with.
Add the royalties, there was encouragement for the industry to come up with
faster and less expensive memory alternatives. Hence DDR SDRAM, and, recently,
DDR2 SDRAM... Ben Myers

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:15:14 GMT, "Chuckles The Scary Clown"
<chuckles@thebigtop.net> wrote:

>
>"Special Ed" <chasham97NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:M6Wbd.5472$NX5.916@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> The Dimension 8250 seems to use a "special" kind of memory (RIMM PC1066)
>> that costs a lot more than "standard" memory. My 8250 came with 256 meg
>> and I want to increase the amount to 512 or a gig. Can I just add
>> "regular"memory-- or maybe pull the OEM stuff and sell it on Ebay (it
>> seems to go for plenty) and then just replace with a gig of the "regular"
>> stuff?
>>
>> Would the computer still work? Would it slow down?
>>
>> Edw.
>
>The 8250 uses Rambus memory - you replace Rambus with Rambus, you cant
>exchange it for cheaper generic bog standard memory.
>
>Intel pushed Rambus as being the next generation memory and Dell jumped on
>the bandwagon. Dell jumped off the bandwagon pretty quickly when they
>discovered how much Rambus ate into their profit margins.
>
>And then Intel abandoned Rambus altogether.
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
news:4170392e.17352146@news.charter.net...
> Intel and the rest of the industry abandoned Rambus because the Rambus
> company
> threw lawsuits at almost everyone in sight for using patented intellectual
> property without paying royalties. Rambus was damned expensive to begin
> with.
> Add the royalties, there was encouragement for the industry to come up
> with
> faster and less expensive memory alternatives. Hence DDR SDRAM, and,
> recently,
> DDR2 SDRAM... Ben Myers
>

If that's true (and I've no reason at all to doubt it) then Rambus deserved
to die the death it did.

Just a shame a lot of innocents went down with them.