Special needs, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FAIRESTOFTHEMALL

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2003
Ok it's like this- my bud just shipped off to Honduras with the Peace Corps, he's gonna be gone over 2 years. I'm making a website for him to keep in touch with friends and fam as he has netcafe access there, but we want pictures too, and that's kinda a problem.

I'm thinking of either subscribing to an online film developer, or getting him a digital camera so he could upload pics to the site I'm making. I'd rather do the latter as it would be faster, but since he only has netcafe access I'd need a USB camera that was literally plug-and-play- a camera that acts like a USB removable drive he could just pull images off of, no weird proprietary image formats or software/drivers required, b/c I doubt the netcafe people would let him install any software. I've been looking at some little multipurpose cams, like the ones that take pics and clips, record sound and play mp3's, and they look like they might work, but I've never used one so I dunno for sure. Can anyone that has used one tell me if they behave like a USB removable drive, or if they need any kind of software/drivers to work? And please link to the model you speak of, TIA :}

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If the computers in the internet cafe are runnin winxp there shouldn't be to many problems. Every camera I've owned and used has been just like a pen drive in winxp. They even show up as removable storage, lol. XP had drivers for my current canon powershot s330. It even showed up as a canon s330 in my computer. My grandpas Nikon D70 shows up as removable storage in my computer, I'm pretty sure my neighbors little HP does too.

If anything you could just get a little usb card reader. None of those things need special drivers when using XP.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Does the internet cafe even allow pen drives? All the internet cafes I've been to didn't even have the towers accessible much less allow anything to be plugged into them.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Status
Not open for further replies.