[SOLVED] Specific case: Get powerline, or get a PCI-E wireless card? (low budget)

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
Completed a new build however stuck with an old TL-WN321G USB wireless card that (obviously) starts to fail to meet my expectations (especially while gaming, sudden disconnects etc, 5 years was surely enough for it)

Now I got some budget (round 10-30 dollars) and want to invest in a new card. Wire is a really far option since:
1)~15 meters of cabling with no practical route possible
2)cannot relocate the fiberglass router, nor the modem

Here is the scene:
*I have a 12-13 meter direct distance to router, with an entire kitchen between, however I don't experience packet loss nor much latency (no microwave if it's important)
*building is 12 years old, cannot say much about electrical system
*I am prohibited to even nail something (why I cannot move the router)
*I have an old entry level router, however I plan to upgrade it (it has no 5 ghz band and max is probably on 240mbits/s)

Should I go for a powerline or a PCI-E adapter? And which can you recommend? (Please keep in mind that I live in Turkey, importing isn't possible nor not much stuff are available here)

Here is the top recommendations that won't do:
Archer T6E/T9E (simplt too expensive, however might invest in T6E)
Asus 4x4 /PCE-AC6X versions (unavailable/too expensive)

Solution
#1. If you can find powerline for usd$30 is either poor quality and/or last generation, low performance.

#2. WIFI is dependent on what other people in the household are doing and environmental constraints like lots of other neighbors' routers. Only hardwired can attempt to deliver you smoother service.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018

The front ports have exactly the line however I still experience drops while it heats up. Problen's not speed, it randomly disconnecting.

#1. If you can find powerline for usd$30 is either poor quality and/or last generation, low performance.

#2. WIFI is dependent on what other people in the household are doing and environmental constraints like lots of other neighbors' routers. Only hardwired can attempt to deliver you smoother service.

Solution

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018

Others are doing no more than watching videos, and therefore connection is actually stable. I pretty much aim for a device that is capable of transmitting more data and will not lose packets/drop the connection/spike lag under pressure.

Video actually use lots of bandwidth, but they are able to BUFFER, unlike your interactive gaming.

pretty much aim for a device that is capable of transmitting more data and will not lose packets/drop the connection/spike lag under pressure.
I know what u want, don't have to repeat it. Unfortunately I have said before, gaming is an expensive hobby, not only do you require a beeffy PC with a hot running GPU and 1,000 watt psu, now you want on-demand stable Internet.

Last thing I want to suggest: QOS, it should help, not an easy subject for the tech newbie.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018