Question Specific desktop icons keep moving

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Hi

As usual, I probably won't get any replies to this, but I don't know where else to turn/ask. 😒 😔

I seem to have this weird and annoying problem where specific desktop icons keep moving. I have two monitors set up - my first has all the icons for my software and my second - the icons for games and things related to gaming. It used to do this with more of them, but at the moment, every gaming icon/folder starting with the letter 'D' keep getting moved over to my first monitor. 😣 It's super annoying. I've tried various things, but nothing seems to be working. It might be one of those cases where to permenantly fix it, I'd just need to reformat, but I have no plans for that at the moment. And it's a bit extreme.

These are some of the things I've tried:

• Doing a system scan/fix using Command Prompt and typing sfx /scannow. That's fixed some issues, but this problem remains
  • I've turned off Auto Arrange Icons and Align Icons to Grid. Never seems to help
  • I've gone to Personalise > Themes > Desktop Icons Settings and unchecked 'Allow themes to change desktop icons'
  • I've deleted the icon cache, but, nada
  • I've tried changing the icon size to small and then back to medium - nothing

It always seems to happen whenever the PC loads up for the first time or I hit Refresh on the desktop.

Has anyone else come across this problem before? Are there other methods anyone could suggest?

Thanks

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but at the moment, every gaming icon/folder starting with the letter 'D' keep getting moved over to my first monitor.

Peculiar problem. :unsure:

Are there other methods anyone could suggest?

How about renaming the folder/shortcut, so that it doesn't start with D?

E.g rather than:
Dota
you instead use:
_Dota

And to make it look prettier (without spaces):
_ Dota _

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Peculiar problem. :unsure:

How about renaming the folder/shortcut, so that it doesn't start with D?

E.g rather than:
Dota
you instead use:
_Dota

And to make it look prettier (without spaces):
_ Dota _

Interesting idea. Sadly though, it's still moving those for some bizarre reason. The icons in question are Dark Souls III, Deathloop, Discord, and DS4Windows. But yeah, even with '_' at the start, it still keeps moving them when I hit refresh, or reboot. :??: They won't move if I refresh on my second monitor, but they will on my first.

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
A long shot, but where the items 1st created on 2nd monitor? :unsure: If so, it would make sense why they "travel back" once you hit refresh.
Hmm. I'm not sure, to be honest. I imagine they were first created on the first monitor as they were generated by Steam and they always put them on monitor one by default. In fact, every icon I add are automatically added to monitor one's desktop. But if that was the reason, my other Steam game icons would also move. I have three others and they haven't moved an inch. Plus, one of the icons was created by me and it's a folder - a shortcut - to the game's saves.

I did have this problem with more icons earlier in the year and the above methods I tried seemed to stop it. Now it's started again but only with icons starting with 'D'. :-\

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
If you were to create new shortcut/folder/text file straight on the desktop, which name starts with "D", does that also travel around? :unsure:

Sorry for the late reply. I just tried creating a new shortcut simply named 'D' and yeah - that moves as well.

EDIT: Mind you, no matter what I call it, it moves. I really don't get why it's only certain ones. And why the other icons don't.

EDIT 2: It looks as though anything starting with A-D (and possibly E) all move. F and onwards - nothing.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Mind you, no matter what I call it, it moves. I really don't get why it's only certain ones. And why the other icons don't.

Since i don't have dual monitor setup myself, i don't know how to deal with this peculiar problem, nor i can check/validate possible fixes myself. Still, it is possible it's one of the random Windows anomalies, which happen who knows why. :unsure:
I too have one peculiar issue with my Win, which i did pursue a bit, but since it's relatively minor, i haven't gotten to the bottom of it.

Have you considered clean Win install? Since this, most likely, would fix the anomaly within the Win.

VermilionNeko

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Since i don't have dual monitor setup myself, i don't know how to deal with this peculiar problem, nor i can check/validate possible fixes myself. Still, it is possible it's one of the random Windows anomalies, which happen who knows why. :unsure:
I too have one peculiar issue with my Win, which i did pursue a bit, but since it's relatively minor, i haven't gotten to the bottom of it.

Have you considered clean Win install? Since this, most likely, would fix the anomaly within the Win.
Yeah, a clean install is out the question at the moment. And certainly for something so minor. When I finally get around to a computer upgrade - new RAM, mobo, CPU etc - that’s when I’ll be doing a fresh install. Just a shame I can’t fix minor annoyances like this until then.