Question Specific GPU in SLI Having Issues

Mar 26, 2020
Recently I installed a second GPU for my 980 Ti SLI setup. My brother recently owned the card but upgraded his entire machine to a new one due to frames being skipped occasionally. I found that once I installed the GPU to my computer I also encountered the same issues he was facing with his build. For instance, getting headshot in CS:GO will give a half-second freeze on the screen. Before installing the seconds

I am able to play most games fine, but recently tried playing Minecraft FTB: Revalations only to find massive spikes in FPS lag where a new frame will not render for seconds at a time. My performance graph looks like this and similarly in CS:GO when I get a spike the performance goes down, but not to this extent.

I have updated my video drivers and I am unsure as to what to try next besides removing the card as I would prefer to have two cards. Any ideas what could be causing this?

PC Specs:
  • 2x Gigabyte Windforce 980 Ti
  • CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.08 Ghz
  • MOBO: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO
  • G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB of DDR4-3000

If you aren’t playing recently released games, try an older driver that is more compatible With SLI. I don’t recommend anyone to use SLI as it is becoming less supported as time goes on and there has been less focus on it from a driver standpoint as well.

ASK THE COMMUNITY