Question specific GPU wont work in specific PC

Sep 30, 2020
I have 2 PCs

One with a A Ryzen 2700x cpu, compatable motherboard and a RTX 2080 gpu

The other with a I5 2500x cpu, compatable motherboard and a GTX 780 gpu.

I need to put the old 780 gpu into the newer machine for a while because the 2080rtx has to be replaced.

The thing is the 780 wont work in the newer machine.

Both GPUs work in the older machine

The 2080 works in the newer machine
but the 780 wont

I have tried inserting it multiple and making sure everything is well connected multiple times.

What could be preventing it from working?

Sep 30, 2020
Display drivers maybe? Unless you did this:

this

your 780 will try to use the 2080 drivers.

Just because their both Nvidia cards doesn't mean they can use the same driver.

I doubt it is that because the monitor shows no signal at all
I dont even get a BIOS screen

Its it still possible that its a drier issue?

Sep 30, 2020
Probably not.

When the GTX is in the newer PC, are you using the same connections(HDMI/Display Port/DVI) on the monitor and graphics card, as well as the same cable, that you use when you connect up the 2080?

yes
ive used the 2080 in the newer machine with both a display port and a hdmi cable - they are both fine.

ive tried both cable types with the 780 in the newer machine, neither work.

when I used the 2080 in the older machine using the display port cable it was fine until windows finished booting then the display went all corrupted. as soon as i switched to the hdmi cable it was fine. this was before i installed the 2080 drivers on the older machine. I cant remember if I tried display port again after installing 2080 drivers.

both cable types work with the 780 in the older machine

Sep 30, 2020
I inserted a different old GPU into my new PC
and that also did not work

I changed the cable between the gpu and the psu and that also did not work

anyway I have done some reading and apparently GPUs have to be UEFI compatable if your BIOS is in UEFI mode.
My new PC is in UEFI mode. im not sure what mode the old PC is.

Could this be the reason why only my newest (of 3) GPUs will display any output when installed in my new PC yet all 3 work fine in my old PC?

For referance my GPUs are

Gigabyte Windforce OC 2080 RTX - works in both PCs
Gigabyte WindForce 780 RTX - only works in the old PC
Asus 560 RTX - only works in the old PC

Sep 30, 2020
There should be 2 cables between your GPU and your PSU, one 8-pin and one 6-pin, for both GPUs.

What is the motherboard of your newer PC? Make and model?

The motherboard in my new pc is a
MSI X470 Gaming Plus

according to CPU-Z the exact model name is
X470 GAMING PLUS (MS-7B79)
it reads '2.0' in the box to the left of the Model name.

For additional info

Chipset is - AMD Ryzen SOC
Southbridge is - AMD X470
LPCIO (whatever that is) is - Nuvoton NCT6795

It reports the grapic interface is being PCI-Express with 16x link width (with 16x max supported)

The CPU is a Ryzen 2700x

as for the cables
The cable is a PSU -> 2x 6/8 pin connector
The 2800rtx uses a 6 pin and an 8 pin
The 780rtx uses 2 8 pins
The older card uses 2 6 pins
And I did test with a different PSU cable

Sep 30, 2020
Just to be clear the computer is turning on
all of the lights and fans (including GPU lights and fans) come on
but no output is displayed on screen for any of the output types (display port and hdmi or dvi)

gabi014

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2012
Sounds like the BIOS of your motherboard is limiting the support in that GPU model, it's an obsolete graphics card nowadays.

Try to change the BIOS mode. If it's set to "UEFI mode', change it to CSM/Legacy mode enable and then plug the GTX 780.

If you have an option in the BIOS menu called "other PCI devices", try to change that option. If it's set to UEFI, change it Legacy (otherwise, try vice versa), then plug the GTX 780.

If both suggestions did not help, try to update your BIOS to the latest version provided by MSI.

Sep 30, 2020
I tried installing the oldest GPU I have in a lower PCIE slot on my newer machine and it worked immediately.

Since then I have installed the same GPU in the main PCI-E slot several times and it works every time.
I have no idea what caused this.

I have tried to do the same thing with the 780rtx gpu and this did not work, however this card is much larger and barely fits (the first time i managed to get it in the pcie leaver didnt come up) so i may not be connecting it properly or may be loosening some other connection when i try to put this card into this slot.

Anway
Does anyone have any idea what may be happening here?

Sorry mate, I have no idea at this point. My previous suggestions have drained my knowledge reservoir.

You could maybe try to clear your CMOS, but I doubt that will have any effect. Since the 780 is so big, have you tried it with the case lying flat so the weight of the card doesn't potentially cause it to pull partially out of the motherboard PCI slot?

Sep 30, 2020
Sorry mate, I have no idea at this point. My previous suggestions have drained my knowledge reservoir.

You could maybe try to clear your CMOS, but I doubt that will have any effect. Since the 780 is so big, have you tried it with the case lying flat so the weight of the card doesn't potentially cause it to pull partially out of the motherboard PCI slot?

I tried resetting my BIOS to default settings.
Would clearing the CMOS be any different?

Sep 30, 2020

yes i have tried it with the case flat

I tried resetting my BIOS to default settings.
Would clearing the CMOS be any different?
Yes. Look at page 40 of your motherboard's user manual

Motherboard User Manual

Typically, you clear the CMOS first, and the next time you boot up, you reset the BIOS to default settings.

When I upgraded from an i5-9600k to an i9-9900k, after the new CPU was installed and the power was still off, I cleared the CMOS, powered the PC up and entered the BIOS to reset it to factory settings.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020
Sounds like the BIOS of your motherboard is limiting the support in that GPU model, it's an obsolete graphics card nowadays.

Try to change the BIOS mode. If it's set to "UEFI mode', change it to CSM/Legacy mode enable and then plug the GTX 780.

If you have an option in the BIOS menu called "other PCI devices", try to change that option. If it's set to UEFI, change it Legacy (otherwise, try vice versa), then plug the GTX 780.

If both suggestions did not help, try to update your BIOS to the latest version provided by MSI.

The bios has uefi and uefi+legacy options. I tried both and neither worked.
Ill take another look and see if there is a "other pci devices" setting.

Does anything in this manual look like it is what i need?

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B79v2.1-GSE-LITE.pdf