[SOLVED] Specific keyboard cant open bios

eyalsolomon

Honorable
Feb 16, 2016
Hello there !

having trouble getting in to BIOS with my keyboard ( func kb-460 ),i got this 6-7 years ago ( SUPER old )
MOBO is H61M-HVGS (very old too..)

• tried with only keyboard plugged in
  • tried with keyboard plugged in the top usb ports

* i did manage to get in the BIOS with another keyboard (simple microsoft keyboard)
i checked and usb options in BIOS are ENABLED

REALLY need your help,thank you !

Solution
i dont really know what BIOS NumLock is
the "NumLock" status of the keyboard. look it up if you've never noticed it or used it on your keyboards.
some BIOS will give the option to enable or disable the function while the system is starting up.
you would have to search the BIOS options relating to devices, startup, etc and see if this option is available.
keyboard is light up when booting but not responsive
the device is receiving power(hence the lights) but may not be properly designed to run how it should.
i've seen many with similar issues
seems to be cheap keyboards that do this.

it was pretty expensive when i bought it
"cheap" doesn't necessarily mean low MSRP when dealing with hardware.
a manufacturer or...

eyalsolomon

Honorable
Feb 16, 2016
was this keyboard previously detected and functional when booting
or is this the first time you've tried in all those years?
I think it never worked when i was trying to enter the BIOS..i always used another keyboards i had
This time is importent because i need to use BIOS daily for dual booting(switching between ubunto and win10)

think it never worked when i was trying to enter the BIOS
if it's not properly detected and initialized before or during the booting\posting process
than it may just be a poor design of the keyboard.

you can try changing any BIOS NumLock status options, if available.
i've seen some complain that it will disable function keys during boot with certain keyboards.

if it's just taking longer than usual to be detected and missing the "enter BIOS" window,
you can try altering the time in which the window displays.

eyalsolomon

Honorable
Feb 16, 2016
if it's not properly detected and initialized before or during the booting\posting process
than it may just be a poor design of the keyboard.

you can try changing any BIOS NumLock status options, if available.
i've seen some complain that it will disable function keys during boot with certain keyboards.

if it's just taking longer than usual to be detected and missing the "enter BIOS" window,
you can try altering the time in which the window displays.
hmm i dont really know what BIOS NumLock is
keyboard is light up when booting but not responsive..only after windows boot up

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
Sounds like the keyboard is poorly designed and/or incompatible with your BIOS, hence why it only works after booting. I used to have a keyboard that had a very similar issue. It always seems to be cheap keyboards that do this.

eyalsolomon

Honorable
Feb 16, 2016
Sounds like the keyboard is poorly designed and/or incompatible with your BIOS, hence why it only works after booting. I used to have a keyboard that had a very similar issue. It always seems to be cheap keyboards that do this.
hmmm..it was pretty expensive when i bought it :ROFLMAO:
any other reccomendations ?

i dont really know what BIOS NumLock is
the "NumLock" status of the keyboard. look it up if you've never noticed it or used it on your keyboards.
some BIOS will give the option to enable or disable the function while the system is starting up.
you would have to search the BIOS options relating to devices, startup, etc and see if this option is available.
keyboard is light up when booting but not responsive
the device is receiving power(hence the lights) but may not be properly designed to run how it should.
seems to be cheap keyboards that do this.

it was pretty expensive when i bought it
a manufacturer or vendor can charge whatever they want,
but it doesn't mean the product is a quality device.
many times you'll find higher priced items that are just cheaply designed and\or made.
any other reccomendations ?
have you tried finding out about extending the "enter BIOS" display window?
if you set it to remain open for an extended amount of time, it may give the device enough time to be recognized by the system.
then you can spam F2 & Delete and see if it responds.

but you may find there are no other options except replacing the keyboard.
you could just take it as time to finally upgrade the entire system.

Solution

eyalsolomon

Honorable
Feb 16, 2016

a manufacturer or vendor can charge whatever they want,
but it doesn't mean the product is a quality device.
many times you'll find higher priced items that are just cheaply designed and\or made.
have you tried finding out about extending the "enter BIOS" display window?
if you set it to remain open for an extended amount of time, it may give the device enough time to be recognized by the system.
then you can spam F2 & Delete and see if it responds.

but you may find there are no other options except replacing the keyboard.
you could just take it as time to finally upgrade the entire system.
I know NumLock key,i didnt understand how it can effect the keyboard functionality during startup - can you expand on that ?
it might be poor built of the keyboard..thats sucks
i searched about extending the bootup screen but didnt find useful info..

if we solve this or not than you Jhon !

eyalsolomon

Honorable
Feb 16, 2016
Got it.
Tried again..on and off options both make no change
I guess my keyboard is absolutely <Mod Edit> lol

Need to find another selution for duel boot because I can't get into bios and switch drives

Last edited by a moderator: