Specs aren't as good as I thought?

johnnyohar

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
I built a new PC not too long ago, and it's not performing as good as benchmarks would have implied that it should. Im running an i5-7600k, gtx1080, 8gb ram. It struggles to keep 60fps in a lot of games at ultra.

Solution
The problem is more likely that there's only 8GB of RAM instead of the i5-7600K. Quad-core CPUs, though not the king of the hill anymore, are still very competent gaming CPUs and should handle most gaming-related tasks - unless you try streaming it.

8GB is rather underwhelming considering that the rest of the hardware is pretty capable. So RAM upgrade would be my advice.

topheron

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I look to this webpage:

http://thebottlenecker.com/#calculator

It gives this answer:

Bottleneck detected: Your CPU is too weak for this graphic card.

Intel Core i5-7600K @ 3.80GHz with GeForce GTX 1080 (x1) will produce 13% of bottleneck. Everything over 10% is considered as bottleneck. We recommend you to replace Intel Core i5-7600K @ 3.80GHz with AMD Ryzen 5 1600X.

So, running full out, the GTX 1080 can overwhelm your CPU.

You may be able to get some of the bottleneck back by overclocking your CPU, but you'll need advanced cooling.

Try different configurations with the bottleneck calculator, try seeing what a 7700k processor does instead of your 7600k. You can always sell your 7600k processor on eBay.

Also, I waited too long and now I can't justify buying a 1080 graphics card... I envy you your system!

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
The problem is more likely that there's only 8GB of RAM instead of the i5-7600K. Quad-core CPUs, though not the king of the hill anymore, are still very competent gaming CPUs and should handle most gaming-related tasks - unless you try streaming it.

8GB is rather underwhelming considering that the rest of the hardware is pretty capable. So RAM upgrade would be my advice.

Solution

Cairnsagc

Commendable
May 20, 2016
What resolution are you running these games at? If, 4k sounds about right, if 1440P or 1080P then you possibly do have an issue.

The first think I would check is that your system RAM is configured correctly in the UEFI bios. Far to often have I seen the ram be detected/configured wrong and it slows the system down.

I also have to agree with ZRace. Your system could do with more ram, 16GB should do.

topheron is right, there is a slight bottleneck there, but hardly noticeable, and won't be impacting your FPS too much. Not sure why you voted him down. It's an accurate answer. Maybe you heard something that you didn't like!?

I'd agree with Zrace, for me ram is the culprit. If you play for example BF1, your gonna be pushing your system, both from a CPU and Ram point of view. Same with most AAA games. The 7600k is a capable chip, and for pure FPS will get good results. But it now the standard for gaming in the AAA age, with more CPU resources essential. BF1 uses all 12 threads on my Ryzen, some more than others. So with only 4 threads, you are running out of CPU resources. I also hit over 9gb on BF1 ram usage. Okay some other tasks use some of that, and it's not attributable to BF1, nonetheless, once the 8gbs is maxed you start using the swap file, and that really can have a negative impact on gaming, with massive stuttering possible.

Get some more ram, and see how much it impacts. Hopefully will make things a little smoother for you. After that, yes, you will have to consider another CPU. Your upgrade path is limited, and the 7700k is really the only option, other than a platform upgrade (CPU/Mob)

johnnyohar

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
After reading all the answers I recieved, I'm going to get another 8gb of ram and see if that will help. I didn't mean to down vote topheron's comment, but it won't let me change it. So I'm sorry for that.

These things happen, no apology needed :)

On the ram thing, if you could get a 2 x 8 gb matched kit. That would be best. Buying a single stick of generic ram and adding it in 'may' work. But it may not either. Even if you buy the same stick as you currently have, it may have different voltages and timings, and it's not awlays compatible with what you may have already.

My suggestion would be to buy the 2 x 8 matched kit, and sell your current 8gb to offset the cost. Otherwise you risk compatibility issues mixing modules.