Specs Finalized For Ultra HD Blu-ray, Licensing Begins Summer 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I thought we got over disks ... they are a thing of the past, as a videographer it makes me go bananas each time technology changes and we are stuck with old tech and specs of the disks ... memory sticks will always keep the pace with technology since you can put anything on them.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
The cheapest I've been able to get a 128GB USB stick is for $28. The physical discs are MUCH cheaper to produce.

Streaming 4K content across the internet is going to get the cable companies excited. Expect those bandwdith limits to start coming in as more households routinely use 1TB+ traffic a month.

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I thought we got over disks ... they are a thing of the past, as a videographer it makes me go bananas each time technology changes and we are stuck with old tech and specs of the disks ... memory sticks will always keep the pace with technology since you can put anything on them.

Disks are there for retail. The only thing you can put on flash drives movie wise is torrented files or files you got from the retail disk. Tip for the future, don't give away that you torrent in the future so ...easily lol. If you are not talking about movies on discs but discs in general, well, the article has specificity.

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Or maybe movies you bought online, sorry if I didn't consider that.

Disks are there for retail. The only thing you can put on flash drives movie wise is torrented files or files you got from the retail disk. Tip for the future, don't give away that you torrent in the future so ...easily lol. If you are not talking about movies on discs but discs in general, well, the article has specificity.

mmxcore

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014

They are saying at least 100gig a disk, if I get 100 or even 1000 movies, how many hard drives or flash sticks do you want me to get?

Nobody on the content creation side has used discs in... well pretty much ever. It was film, then tape, then flash, and now HDD/SSDs. Disc media is merely for retail content because it is super cheap and easy to work with (you can buy a whole stack of DVDs/BRDs for the cost of just a handful of flash drives).

Personally I am stoked for this. I have bought more than a few direct-digital things over the years, and you know what? Content changes, companies go out of business, old DRM styles become no longer supported... and the media is just as expensive (and often more expensive) than buying physical media. I just want a place where I can go online, buy a show that I want, download it to my home server, and have the option to re-download content in the future in the event that my house catches on fire and I lose everything. The same way that I buy an MP3 on Amazon! Is it too much to ask?!?!?!?!

But we do not live in that world, so I have to go buy a disc, and go through the whole process of ripping it myself for use on all of my disc-less systems in the home. I mean, it does not take that long... but it would cut a few steps out of the process, and they could probably make a better quality file with smaller file size than I can, so it is a service I would really go for. But as that is not available I am glad that UHD BRDs are finally coming out so that I can enjoy 4K content soon!

MyDocuments

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
Hmm, imagine a shoe-box (or larger) full of flash sticks or micro-SD cards to sort through in order to find a particular movie, that'll end up driving you bonkers.
Although I suspect it's not quite as bad as sorting through a box of cables or mains adaptors where the wires always end up getting tangled.

Back on topic; when will we see discs (or screens) supporting UHD-3D content, how much storage will that require and what will the audio-standard be?

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
I take it you haven't heard of Vudu, Ultraviolet, Flixster, Amazon...need I go on? There are plenty of options for legal, DRM-equipped digital downloads that don't require a physical media.

However, there is always a downside. If the digital download is stored in an online service (i.e. Vudu, Flixster, etc.), then I can access it from any device, provided that device has an app, has an active Internet connection available, & that I am able to log into the account. However, I do not have any way of storing it locally, so I can't just store it on my home server to stream to another device over my home network, let alone transfer the file to a smartphone or tablet so that I can watch it without Internet (i.e. while on a flight that doesn't offer free in-flight Wi-Fi).

Same goes for the accounts where I actually get a file to digitally download. Yes, I can download a physical file that I can store locally...but there's usually a limitation on how many devices I can store that file on simultaneously. Not a problem if streaming from my PC over the home network to another device, but can be a problem if I want to also take the file with me on another device. And in some cases, if you lose the original downloaded file you may not be able to go back & redownload it from the original link, having to go through a process of "proving" that you already paid for it, or they'll make you repurchase it. Or, worse yet, if your account gets closed out/cancelled (maybe by the company because they don't like something you did, maybe because the company isn't in business any longer, maybe the company lost the license, etc.), you may find that what you purchased wasn't the file itself, but just the access to the file...& without an active account, you no longer have permission to keep the file.

So, for some people, having that physical disk that they can store in their house & guarantee that, as long as they physically have it (& as long as the disk can physically be read by a device) they will have access it, is more "convenient" and "user-friendly" than some of the digital options. Not to mention that it makes it much easier if, say, a sibling or other family member wants to borrow it to watch (kind of like borrowing a book from your shelf)...something that's nearly impossible to do with the digital downloads.

In the end, unless digital downloads can be made just as hassle-free for the average home user (i.e. someone who's not necessarily technically inclined, someone whose familiarity & comfort level with technology is at or just slightly above the "C-A-T spells 'cat'" level), don't expect digital downloads to even come close to replacing physical media.

The days of physical media for movies is just about past. Most people, even those not technically savvy, are fully capable of connecting a wireless Roku box to their home network and streaming a movie they just bought or rented from Amazon.

It's "neat" that they can put more a a disk, but the only people who will even have a need for this format are the 4K crowd at this point. A majority of people complained when they saw "The Hobbit" with a high frame rate (personally, I thought it was pretty awesome!). What makes the ultra bd manufacturers think a majority of people want to see HFR movies?

MyDocuments

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
I think I saw one screen/monitor manufacturer making that distinction about having a real 4K screen (not just UHD), I forget who it was now.

Before I upgrade the TV (or monitor) I'd like it to have a low-lag, be (Real)3D capable (at or near the 4K resolution) and have a 10-point touch USB interface... All-in or it didn't happen ;-)

... and then there'd have to be a capable & energy efficient Gfx card to be able to drive such a thing, doh!

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
All the people that are going on about Netflix and digital download seem to forget that a thing called data caps exist. Granted My Comcast 105 plan doesn't have it, but it might one day. I wouldn't mind having bigger br drives. Especially if pc game can be installed from them. Steam etc are gonna have a hard time if all isp add caps.

It is not the matter here... the matter is how the hell can you stream 100GB of data in 2 hours. That's roughtly 13Mb/s minimum which is equivalent to 104Mb/s connection with your service provider... and that's the minimum speed required.

ATL_Tech_Guy

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
... and it's already outdated. Where's 6K and 8K support, with super-bit rate and uncompressed audio formats.

How about a plug in module that will support future HDMI 3.0 or similar ?

funguseater

Distinguished
Some people are missing the point, HDD's, SSD's Flash drives don't store long term data well, they can store it but it will degrade in a few years, some SSD's in weeks. An archive disk can save data for 25 years or more. Disks still have limited use scenarios. But I wouldn't buy em ;)

hannibal

Distinguished
Also even 1080p content via network is very low quality compared to Blu-ray versions. The situation will be even worse with 4K content... The bit rates will be ultra low from internet.
There is definitely need for high volume disks even in the future.
Maybe pure light cable connection can do it? But I am not counting on even an that.

hajila

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
The PS4 should support this newer media with a simple firmware update. At least that's what the Sony developers claim.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
Never bothered with blu-ray because of the drm, probably won't bother with this either.

Remove drm & copy protection, heck make us some industry standard free tools for format shifting, and then I'll _consider_ buying your content.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Interesting comment from a guy I talked to today, he said he likes his DVD collection because his friends can see the movies he has. There's a public display angle to owning discs that's missing from the debate on discs vs. digital. Who hasn't gone to someone's flat/house for the first time and - when they're away making a coffee or somesuch - checked out their movie collection to get a better sense of what they're into... can't do this with digital.

In reality I bet most people have a bit of both.

My biggest gripe with digital is that the streaming concept still isn't decently reliable, and I have 60Mbit atm. Often it's the viewing app that is flawed, but that shouldn't be a user concern if one is paying for a service. The youtube app on my Samsung TV, for example, really can't handle a clip being paused, rewound, etc., but companies are never going to like the notion of full downloads prior to playing the files. Worst part about on-demand 4K is most places don't remotely have the net infrastructure to handle the load, and as someone else said, I can see ISPs loving the idea of monthly usage quotas being blown away in a matter of hours.

Ian.

I think discs have plenty of purpose. Until the u.s. mandates high bandwidth/unlimited bandwidth with fast enough connections to EVERYone, not all of us can stream. It's actually a very limited portion of the population with that ability. For a video collection at home, I prefer not to have tons of hard drives bricked full of storage when it's so much simpler to have it on a disc off my systems until I wish to watch a movie. Even cloud storage goes back to the connection speed/bandwidth issue which is out of the end user's control. It's not something you can just throw cash at and upgrade if the infrastructure is lacking.

Not to mention if I buy content, I want control of it. If it means relying on cloud or server side storage on the other end of a network, there's no control. I've already played that game with satellite tv where you save a program to dvr only to find out the provider has accessed your dvr and deleted the content and not a thing you can do about it. So long as I save it to the device I paid for and it's off their network, shouldn't I be able to keep it as long as I want? Not even referring to content with limited availability such a movie saved to dvr during a promotional preview of hbo or showtime. Jesse Ventura's show "conspiracy theory" was off a standard channel but when it got him into some hot water, directv wiped any/all shows from my dvr at will. No control.

alextheblue

Distinguished
The PS4 should support this newer media with a simple firmware update. At least that's what the Sony developers claim.

As long as the media is still readable by standard BR drives, there's no reason that any machine with appropriate hardware can't play them, with the right software. That includes PS4, XB1, and many PCs out there. Lean on the graphics chip for decode (use shaders if you don't have fixed-function hardware for it).

Now, standalone blu-ray players will be left out in the cold for certain. The chips they use are not general-purpose powerhouses, but rather are largely fixed-function and won't be capable. There might be a few late-model exceptions from companies who worked with Sony on this new standard, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
I purchased a Blue-Ray player in about 2008. Used it a dozen times maybe. I don't even have a rental place in my local area anymore. Be damned if I'm paying $40 to watch a movie once at home. I suppose I could sell it afterwards for $30 or so.
I'm sure there is a movie rental store somewhere in Brisbane (2 million people) but I haven't seen one for 2-3 years. I'm never actually looking for one of course, I have just never noticed one.
Discs are dead. Streaming is the now and future.

Status
Not open for further replies.