Question Specs for game development

Feb 15, 2023
Should I go with i7 12650h with 3060 6gb vram or i7 12700h with 3050ti 4gb vram for game development with unreal engine 5?

Last edited:
Should I go with i7 12650h with 3060 6gb vram or i7 12700h with 3050ti 4gb vram for unreal engine 5?
Those are laptops correct? What is the budget and country of purchase?

If I had to choose just between those CPUs and GPUs it would be the first option with the 3060. All you get with the 12700 over the 12650h is 4 more efficiency cores which do not have hyper threading so even in allcore workloads the 12700h is only marginally faster (~20%).

With laptops you can also have higher tier parts perform worse than lower tier parts because of the allowed power budget the manufactuer of the laptop allows the parts to have. More power to a part usually translates to more performance. Another thing to keep in mind is the cooling system of each laptop is also very important because it greatly affects the performance of the parts.

Feb 15, 2023
Those are laptops correct? What is the budget and country of purchase?

If I had to choose just between those CPUs and GPUs it would be the first option with the 3060. All you get with the 12700 over the 12650h is 4 more efficiency cores which do not have hyper threading so even in allcore workloads the 12700h is only marginally faster (~20%).
Yes, those are laptops. My budget is around 100,000 INR and the country of purchase is India.

Feb 15, 2023
I would argue focus more on the CPU than the GPU, because the game needs to compile before you can run it. Faster compiling requires a faster CPU. On top of this, you should develop with as low quality of graphics as you can to make sure that the game itself is running smoothly. It doesn't matter if you have the most whizzbang graphics, if the game logic is coded such that the CPU spends most of its time crunching it, you're not going to get high FPS anyway.

Also make sure you're targeting a system that performs worse than your development one. You can simulate this by only allowing the game to run on some of the CPU's cores (there may be something in the Unreal 5 SDK to allow this without going through Task Manager)

I would argue focus more on the CPU than the GPU, because the game needs to compile before you can run it. Faster compiling requires a faster CPU. On top of this, you should develop with as low quality of graphics as you can to make sure that the game itself is running smoothly. It doesn't matter if you have the most whizzbang graphics, if the game logic is coded such that the CPU spends most of its time crunching it, you're not going to get high FPS anyway.

Also make sure you're targeting a system that performs worse than your development one. You can simulate this by only allowing the game to run on some of the CPU's cores (there may be something in the Unreal 5 SDK to allow this without going through Task Manager)
In game development optimization is one of the last steps before releasing the game. The compile times between these two laptops are going to depend more on cooling capabilities and TDP rather than 4 non-hyperthreading efficiency cores. If the 12700h laptop has the better cooling it can compile faster but it would be the difference between a 15 minute compile and an 18 minute compile. I would much rather have 50% more vRAM and a faster GPU to develop with.

In game development optimization is one of the last steps before releasing the game.
Which is how we get this crappy practice of "release a buggy game now, patch it later" in the gaming industry.

The compile times between these two laptops are going to depend more on cooling capabilities and TDP rather than 4 non-hyperthreading efficiency cores. If the 12700h laptop has the better cooling it can compile faster but it would be the difference between a 15 minute compile and an 18 minute compile. I would much rather have 50% more vRAM and a faster GPU to develop with.
And those compile times can add up if you're in a situation where you're constantly reiterating your software. All a better GPU gets you is "oh look, I can see what my game looks like at a faster frame rate with higher quality settings" assuming the core game logic isn't tying down the CPU. Arguably knowing what a game looks like at high quality & fast FPS isn't really valuable until towards the end of development. And in fact, early on in most game development cycles, image quality takes a backseat and many, if not most assets are placeholder graphics.

Which is how we get this crappy practice of "release a buggy game now, patch it later" in the gaming industry.
No, we have this crappy practice because producers force game releases before they are finished at the behest of the game developers because money.

And those compile times can add up if you're in a situation where you're constantly reiterating your software. All a better GPU gets you is "oh look, I can see what my game looks like at a faster frame rate with higher quality settings" assuming the core game logic isn't tying down the CPU. Arguably knowing what a game looks like at high quality & fast FPS isn't really valuable until towards the end of development. And in fact, early on in most game development cycles, image quality takes a backseat and many, if not most assets are placeholder graphics.
Getting useable framerates when testing the game is more important than a few minutes of extra compile time. You will spend more time in an editor than you ever will waiting for compiling another build of the game.

Have you developed something more complicated than "Hello world"?
Significantly more complicated, yes. And pray tell, exactly what are your qualifications? How many GDDs have you written and turned into playable games? What studio are you with? What engine do you develop games in? What programming languages do you know? I have given my opinion and you have given yours. If you cannot accept that both have merit but our opinions differ in the end, I have nothing else to say to you.

Trevor holmes

BANNED
May 12, 2023
The specifications for game development can vary depending on the complexity of the game and the software used for development. However, here are some general recommendations for a computer that is suitable for game development:
  1. Processor: A fast and powerful processor is essential for game development. Ideally, you should aim for at least an Intel Core i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 processor, but an i7 or Ryzen 7 would be even better.
  2. Graphics card: A dedicated graphics card is important for game development as it will allow you to test and run your game at higher resolutions and frame rates. An NVIDIA GeForce GTX or AMD Radeon RX series card is recommended.
  3. RAM: Game development software can be memory-intensive, so it's important to have plenty of RAM. Aim for at least 16GB, but 32GB or more would be ideal.
  4. Storage: You'll need plenty of storage space for game development, as game files can take up a lot of space. A solid-state drive (SSD) with at least 500GB of storage is recommended.
  5. Display: A high-resolution monitor with good color accuracy is essential for game development. Consider a 27-inch monitor with a resolution of 2560x1440 or higher.
  6. Software: Depending on the type of game you're developing, you'll need software such as Unity, Unreal Engine, or GameMaker Studio. Make sure to check the system requirements for each software before purchasing. Removex
It's important to note that these are just general recommendations, and the specifications you need may vary depending on the specific game you're developing. It's always a good idea to check the system requirements for the game engine or development software you'll be using to ensure that your computer meets the minimum requirements.

Last edited by a moderator: