Question (SPECS IN POST) System is only reading 16 gigabytes of ram.

Vxrokk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2016
Hey guys, finished my pc build yesterday. Noticed that my system only recognized 16 gigabytes of ram. I saw that I had 18gb of virtual memory and around 16gigabytes of physical memory in the system info, but task manager only shows 16gigs in the performance tab.

Something that is confusing me is that in the MSI bios I have 2 different XMP profiles (I assume one for each stick of ram.) So I’m doubting that the ram isnt seated properly but regardless I plan on checking after work today.

If the ram is seated properly, does anyone have any advice as to what could be wrong? Or if I’m missing something? Thanks for the help, please let me know if any more info is needed.

Specs:
msi X570 mags carbon max wifi
corsair vengeance 16x2 3600mhz cl16 ram
ryzen 9 5900x

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to see what your BIOS version is at the time of writing. If you have a number of BIOS versions between your current version and the latest, gradually work your way to the latest version. As for your rams, what slots are they populating on the motherboard?

Where did you source the installer for your OS? Speaking of OS, what OS are you working with?

Reactions: Vxrokk

Vxrokk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2016
Might want to see what your BIOS version is at the time of writing. If you have a number of BIOS versions between your current version and the latest, gradually work your way to the latest version. As for your rams, what slots are they populating on the motherboard?

Where did you source the installer for your OS? Speaking of OS, what OS are you working with?
I will definitely check the bios. Can I update bios versions through the MSI website? The ram is populating the 2nd and 4th slot which was marked for dual channeling.

I have two different answers for source of OS, since I’m not sure exactly what it means, but I bought a cheap key through a link techsource put in his “How to Build a Pc” hour long video, and if thats not what that means I put the media creation tool onto a USB and plugged it into the Flash Bios usb slot. I’m also working with Windows 10 Pro edition I believe, can double check that though.

Vxrokk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2016

Funnily enough talking about the bios you just reminded me that, as aforementioned, each XMP profile is seperate per stick of ram, but the CPU section to the left of the XMP profile sections, if I clicked on that, it would also jnclude a XMP profile, but would only let me choose only one of the profiles, so I’m wondering if because of that the CPU is only reading the stick of ram that I selected. Do you think it is worth it to check to make sure the RAM is seated before I do anything else though? Thanks for the fast reply!

Vxrokk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2016
SOLVED! Just had to reseat the first ram stick, noticed it was actually never detected in the slot, so just reseated it and now its there. So glad I dont have to reseat the CPU. Thanks for the input!