Question Specs Recommended for a PC hosting a Minecraft server?

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
Hi. I've recently been considering buying parts for a PC that I'll use to host a (modded) Minecraft server for me and my friends rather than continuing to pay an external hosting group however I am not totally sure if I need to prioritise spending on a ton of storage, RAM, GPU for the PC being used to host the server???

current planned build for the server:

(I am considering the case thanks to the number of case bays for expansion or even swapping it to SSDs instead of Hard Drives although the SSDs are a whole lot more expensive)

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
Hi. I've recently been considering buying parts for a PC that I'll use to host a (modded) Minecraft server for me and my friends rather than continuing to pay an external hosting group however I am not totally sure if I need to prioritise spending on a ton of storage, RAM, GPU for the PC being used to host the server???

(I am considering the case thanks to the number of case bays for expansion or even swapping it to SSDs instead of Hard Drives although the SSDs are a whole lot more expensive)

kanewolf

Titan

What are the specs of the host you are currently renting for a server?

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
What are the specs of the host you are currently renting for a server?
Do note current (possible) redesign for lower costs:

however I am not sure if I need a ton of RAM, ton of storage (and if having that storage be SSD will make much of a difference) and a high capacity ethernet card included in the build?
by ton of ram and storage I mean something like 32GB RAM at least and I have no clue how much storage I'll need...

kanewolf

Titan
Do note current redesign for lower costs:
however I am not sure if I need a ton of RAM, ton of storage (and if having that storage be SSD will make much of a difference) and a high capacity ethernet card included in the build?
by ton of ram and storage I mean something like 32GB RAM at least and I have no clue how much storage I'll need...
Is this a server ONLY or are you running a client and server on the same host ?

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
Is this a server ONLY or are you running a client and server on the same host ?
This PC will be for running the server only but so my friends can connect from their home also. I do intend to heavily use Curseforge (forge) mods on the server. I will be using a separate PC from the PC running the server.

kanewolf

Titan
This PC will be for running the server only but so my friends can connect from their home also. I do intend to heavily use Curseforge (forge) mods on the server. I will be using a separate PC from the PC running the server.
For just the server wouldn't an i3-12xxx be plenty ? Move the money to more RAM since that is never a bad thing.
I am not a fan of liquid coolers. Too much to fail. For something that should run 24/7 unattended I would stick with air cooling.

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
For just the server wouldn't an i3-12xxx be plenty ? Move the money to more RAM since that is never a bad thing.
I am not a fan of liquid coolers. Too much to fail. For something that should run 24/7 unattended I would stick with air cooling.
Should I get a ton of storage (like how much should I get) and if necessary would the storage being SSD rather than Hard Drives make noticeable difference? I do know that in general SSD > Hard Drives however for a server I'm not sure since it just needs to store data.