Specs to look for to see if NAS is compatible with Router?

khawk1

Reputable
May 17, 2015
I have a Motorola NVG510 router/gateway, wondering if I would be able to plug in a NAS (Synology or WD, etc)?

kanewolf

Titan
NAS units use standard ethernet connections. To maximize performance, you want gigabit wired networks. Quick research says that router is only a fast ethernet wired device. You should purchase a gigabit switch when you buy the NAS. Transfer all the wired devices to the new switch and run a single cable back to the router for internet. That router doesn't get very good reviews for performance. Instead of a switch, you might want to look at a new router that also has gigabit wired network ports.

khawk1

Reputable
May 17, 2015
Thanks for the recommendations.
I think this router is "required" for AT&T U-verse service.
The router isn't listed under WD or Synology's website under compatible. I realize its "plug and play" via ethernet into the back of the router, but with this router will it able to be remotely accessed?

kanewolf

Titan

OK, that is a different question... That router doesn't easily support UPnP. If you use the phone portion, I don't know if you can bridge it. Looking at the web, the general consensus is that the NVG510 sucks ... Sorrry ....

khawk1

Reputable
May 17, 2015
Access files stored on NAS (no streaming) and upload files from phone.

Although the main purpose for the NAS will be for accessing files within the network.

Hooking up an honest-to-God NAS to a router's USB port may limit its bandwidth. The USB port in the back of routers are less than "full throttle." Then it probably can't do JOBD. The more standard way of doing this is ethernet hook up, and find the best way for you to come in from the outside. Secured, via VPN. Non secured, open a FTP port etc. Your download/upload speed decent?

khawk1

Reputable
May 17, 2015

I have to go with the traditional NAS via ethernet since the router does not have a USB.

The download speed is OK for normal use (~6.5 Mbps, most I can get out of AT&T in my area) and upload speed is fairly slow (~.60 Mbps)

Latest posts