Spectrum - Inconsistent latentcy, lost packets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofygiggles

Honorable
Apr 18, 2015
So I have a Spectrum Business plan with 8 up and 100 down. I have 3 computers connected to a gigabit switch, which leads to our Sonicwall, which leads to our modem. Everything worked fine until a couple weeks ago: now the internet goes out occasionally, ping times (screenshot below) range from 29ms to 800ms, and we lose packets. This happens on every computer in the house whether they are connected to an access point or plugged straight into the switch. Streaming video works okay, but voice calls and video games constantly freeze and behave strangely. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks!

Edit: Also, everything, like large file transfers, work perfectly over our local network. It's anything outside of our house that has trouble.

10304a6c8eb4392095a8b0bf87625524.jpg

Solution
Most cable modems have a log that will show errors. Many also show the power levels on the channels and how much data loss there is on each.

You will always see some loss and some messages. You would worry if you get lots per hour not a few per day.

To get the ISP to fix this you are going to have to ping something closer....they will blame googles network when you use 8.8.8.8. Run tracert and ping hop 2. That should be the ISP first router assuming you only have a single router in the path. You want to show the ISP that you get no ping loss to your local router ip but you see loss to their router.
Most cable modems have a log that will show errors. Many also show the power levels on the channels and how much data loss there is on each.

You will always see some loss and some messages. You would worry if you get lots per hour not a few per day.

To get the ISP to fix this you are going to have to ping something closer....they will blame googles network when you use 8.8.8.8. Run tracert and ping hop 2. That should be the ISP first router assuming you only have a single router in the path. You want to show the ISP that you get no ping loss to your local router ip but you see loss to their router.

Solution

Goofygiggles

Honorable
Apr 18, 2015

Okay, thank you very much.

I definately think it is an ISP issue with congestion or something as it is usually worst around 3PM.

Goofygiggles

Honorable
Apr 18, 2015
In most cases the answer I selected as the solution is the solution.
However that was not the case for me. I've been doing research since I started the thread, checking splitters, changing all kinds of stuff. Today I decided to check signal strengh and line noise in my Modem's settings and while I was at it I decided to restart it. Now every single packet returns in 32ms. So. Always try restarting stuff first, even if it is brand new hardware like mine is.

Status
Not open for further replies.