Question Spectrum TV Streamer Doesn't Recognize AT&T Internet as Home Network

BIC2

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2015
Had Spectrum modem with TV (box & streaming) & Internet. Ran through a WiFi 6 Netgear Nighthawk RAX45 router. Switched Internet to AT&T Fiber with an Arris BTW210-700 Gateway. While manufactured 6 months ago, the owners manual is dated November 2016, so not the latest tech. They do offer a newer BGW320-500 with wi-fi 6 but guess I don't rate.

I connected the Gateway to the Nighthawk router and disabled the Gateway wi-fi radios. Most connected devices worked OK with a few exceptions. PumpSpy & Hunter-Douglas PowerView apps didn't work. Removed the router from the equation and those two devices healed themselves. That leaves one problem with AT&T and Spectrum pointing fingers at each other with no solution.

I have a Spectrum cable box on one TV. Everything is fine there. I stream all other TVs with the Spectrum app on Roku devices. Before switching Internet providers, I got all my streaming channels at home on all TVs. Like most other TV providers, a handful of "to go" channels are disabled away from home wi-fi.

My problem is that even while on my new home Internet, the Spectrum app thinks I'm away from home. Error message is "connect to Spectrum In-Home WiFi to watch" these few channels. Spectrum claims AT&T gave me a gateway with an out of area IP. AT&T says it's a Spectrum issue. Questions:

1. Anybody know how I can get the Spectrum app to recognize the AT&T gateway as my "home" device?

2. Is it worth the trouble to make the router play nice with the gateway, say with an IP pass-through? Aside from WiFi 6 and better antennas, I'm not sure of the benefits. I have a couple of other TP-Link WAPs that give me adequate coverage.

3. AT&T Active Armor. Is this basically a firmware firewall in the gateway? AT&T calls it a complete security solution (that can be disabled). Doesn't sound right. Presume I still need anti-virus software.

Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
Had Spectrum modem with TV (box & streaming) & Internet. Ran through a WiFi 6 Netgear Nighthawk RAX45 router. Switched Internet to AT&T Fiber with an Arris BTW210-700 Gateway. While manufactured 6 months ago, the owners manual is dated November 2016, so not the latest tech. They do offer a newer BGW320-500 with wi-fi 6 but guess I don't rate.

I connected the Gateway to the Nighthawk router and disabled the Gateway wi-fi radios. Most connected devices worked OK with a few exceptions. PumpSpy & Hunter-Douglas PowerView apps didn't work. Removed the router from the equation and those two devices healed themselves. That leaves one problem with AT&T and Spectrum pointing fingers at each other with no solution.

I have a Spectrum cable box on one TV. Everything is fine there. I stream all other TVs with the Spectrum app on Roku devices. Before switching Internet providers, I got all my streaming channels at home on all TVs. Like most other TV providers, a handful of "to go" channels are disabled away from home wi-fi.

My problem is that even while on my new home Internet, the Spectrum app thinks I'm away from home. Error message is "connect to Spectrum In-Home WiFi to watch" these few channels. Spectrum claims AT&T gave me a gateway with an out of area IP. AT&T says it's a Spectrum issue. Questions:

1. Anybody know how I can get the Spectrum app to recognize the AT&T gateway as my "home" device?

2. Is it worth the trouble to make the router play nice with the gateway, say with an IP pass-through? Aside from WiFi 6 and better antennas, I'm not sure of the benefits. I have a couple of other TP-Link WAPs that give me adequate coverage.

3. AT&T Active Armor. Is this basically a firmware firewall in the gateway? AT&T calls it a complete security solution (that can be disabled). Doesn't sound right. Presume I still need anti-virus software.

Thanks.
I have this situation with Frontier also. Many of the channels CAN be accessed via their Roku app. For example TNT or TBS apps on Roku.

BIC2

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2015
I did try to access the Bally Sports app that way, but had a similar rejection. The remaining problematic channels aren't as important, but would still like to have the complete channels I'm paying for. Thanks.