Speculative Talk: Intel Nehalem

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I wanted to get everybody's views and opinions on what they think Intel's Next Architecture should or will include. I don't want to start a fanboy thread, but rather one to spark conversation and maybe find somebody with any information on Nehalem than what we can bring here. All I know bout it is it's set to be released in 2008-2010 timeframe, 45nm or 22nm process, first it will be in the Xeon's and I don't know about Desktop or Mobile platforms. I would surmise that this would be first to use CSI (Common System Interface) and 8-Core or more. What you guys think?

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
this is "what if", but coild it be that intel worked as hard as it could to make conroe better than amd's products, and is now just sitting on it until they come out with this new architecture. This could mean that intel's conroe, if it does gain a lead over am2, may only hold on to it for a while, because amd makes many revisions, their prroducts are always getting better, even if its a small increase. Intel might just plan to raise clock speeds like prescot and friends, and not really make many gains till this comes out. just my hypothetical rant. :lol:

malphadour

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
It would seem that by going back to their PIII architecture Intel is back in the game. The banias and subsequent dothan cores are very good and punch clock for clock in the same area as AMD chips. The new Core chips are a further development of this as is conroe and the next one after that (I forget its name, there are so many in the pipe).
Personally I have had nothing but AMD chips since P4 was released and I am glad to see the back of it and when Intel rationalise their range (currently I beleive in the the region of 80 different chips) I may even try one again.

What is interesting is that AMD will not longer be able to laugh at Intel and say "yeah, yours is nearly as quick but needs its own power station" so the performance battle will heat up again and the consumer will win.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Good point. Consumers do win in the long run.
Dothan was something Intel got right, low power consumption, large
L1 cache (notice how small the L1 on netburst is???)

If they had only developed a larger desktop market, it may have been
a different story about a year ago.

Speedstep needs to be standard, and Intel should make their CPU's cache
exclusive and not intrusive. --I see a promising future for the CPU market....
becuase at last....we'll have competition once again.

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I think Intel has positioned itself where now, they've got the technology headed in the right direction and, they will probably concentrate on figuring out what to do with its on board memory controllers. I expect to see them trying something a bit different in that aspect.