Question Speed capped at 100mbps with 1gb internet and router ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlukayzi

Reputable
Sep 15, 2018
My internet speed is 1gb, usually 800 down and up, and when it's directly connected to my pc it gives me those speeds, but then when I plug it into my router, it drops to 100mbs, even though it's a 1gig switch/router.

I use a tp-link AC1200 with cat7 cables, both cables are perfectly fine, and give 1gb internet when directly connected. I have tried multiple switches and none of them go to max speeds.
I've tried changing speed and duplex, trouble shooted, and tried checking drivers and it's all updated. and the routers firmware is up to date.

Many so called cat7 cables are fakes. Also the cat7 standard was never fully certified partially because it provides almost no benefit over cat6a cables. You only need cat5e cable for gigabit connection, so called better cables give you no benefit.

The most common fake cable are those flat or thin cables that have wire to small to meet the standard for any ethernet cable.

I am not sure what you mean you have tried multiple switches.

So you say you plug directly into the ISP box and it is fine. I assume this is some kind of modem?

You then plug your router into that box and then plug your pc into the router and you only get 100mbps. ?

Not sure where the switch comes in. Do you then plug a switch into the router and your pc into that ?

In any case you need to go step by step to find the bad connection. It could be the cable between the modem and the router or between the router and the pc. You many times can tell by the light colors on the router but it might have a screen internally telling you the speed the port is running.

The speed these connect at is controlled mostly by the hardware chips. It is done by detecting voltages on pins and is not really a software thing. All you can really do is replace cables, the only other option is bad ports which means replacing the router. Bad ports are very uncommon.

Make sure you cables are quality cat5e or better only if they are cheaper. The cable must be pure copper with wire size 22-24

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

mlukayzi

Reputable
Sep 15, 2018
Many so called cat7 cables are fakes. Also the cat7 standard was never fully certified partially because it provides almost no benefit over cat6a cables. You only need cat5e cable for gigabit connection, so called better cables give you no benefit.

The most common fake cable are those flat or thin cables that have wire to small to meet the standard for any ethernet cable.

I am not sure what you mean you have tried multiple switches.

So you say you plug directly into the ISP box and it is fine. I assume this is some kind of modem?

You then plug your router into that box and then plug your pc into the router and you only get 100mbps. ?

Not sure where the switch comes in. Do you then plug a switch into the router and your pc into that ?

In any case you need to go step by step to find the bad connection. It could be the cable between the modem and the router or between the router and the pc. You many times can tell by the light colors on the router but it might have a screen internally telling you the speed the port is running.

The speed these connect at is controlled mostly by the hardware chips. It is done by detecting voltages on pins and is not really a software thing. All you can really do is replace cables, the only other option is bad ports which means replacing the router. Bad ports are very uncommon.

Make sure you cables are quality cat5e or better only if they are cheaper. The cable must be pure copper with wire size 22-24
My bad, what I mean is that I have a modem and router, when I plug directly from the modem, it gives gig internet, but then when I plug into my my router, the router drops down to 100mbps, even thought it's a gig router. The cable plugged into the pc gives one gig, so I feel like the cable is fine? and I don't think it's the second cable, since not even wifi is 1gig, and the wifi on the router is 1200mbps, it drops it too 100mbps

The 1200 number is a lie. They are adding 867 on 5g to 300 on 2.4g and calling that 1200. You can not actually use both radios on a end device at the same time. They also do things like add transmit and receive speeds together even though it is half duplex. This is like calling a ethernet cable 2gbit even though ethernet can actually to that. Still most people get about 120-130 on the 5g radio. So if it is still 100mbps on wifi then the problem is the cable between the router and the modem.

mlukayzi

Reputable
Sep 15, 2018
The 1200 number is a lie. They are adding 867 on 5g to 300 on 2.4g and calling that 1200. You can not actually use both radios on a end device at the same time. They also do things like add transmit and receive speeds together even though it is half duplex. This is like calling a ethernet cable 2gbit even though ethernet can actually to that. Still most people get about 120-130 on the 5g radio. So if it is still 100mbps on wifi then the problem is the cable between the router and the modem.
But how come when it's direct connected to pc, I get the gig internet?

mlukayzi

Reputable
Sep 15, 2018
Assuming you use the same cable for both then you've got a problem with the router.
Yeah, I used the same cable for both, and according to the router, it's gig supportive, but when dealing with router settings, it only shows 100 full and half, and 10 full and half negotiations, with auto negotiations, so maybe it doesn't support gig/fiber?

You have 2 options. You buy another ethernet cable and hope it is a bad cable. Bad cables work on some devices and not others. Some device just tolerate a cable out of spec more than other devices do. Any cable can become defective all it takes is one pin in one of the ends to become slightly loose.
Your other option is to buy a new router. The router you have has gigabit lan and wan ports so it can easily run a fiber connection. It is much more likely it is the cable than the router. A new cable is going to be lots cheaper to try first.

mlukayzi

Reputable
Sep 15, 2018
You have 2 options. You buy another ethernet cable and hope it is a bad cable. Bad cables work on some devices and not others. Some device just tolerate a cable out of spec more than other devices do. Any cable can become defective all it takes is one pin in one of the ends to become slightly loose.
Your other option is to buy a new router. The router you have has gigabit lan and wan ports so it can easily run a fiber connection. It is much more likely it is the cable than the router. A new cable is going to be lots cheaper to try first.
I tried another cable, and still same results. I guess I'll look into getting a switch, to just direct connect to my pc, and to the router

The problem is between the router and the modem if it also affects the wifi.

You can not place a switch between the modem and the router....well you can but you can only plug the modem and router into it. The issue is not so much that the switch won't work it is that the ISP only gives you a single IP address. Either you pc or the router will get it and the other will not function.

mlukayzi

Reputable
Sep 15, 2018
The problem is between the router and the modem if it also affects the wifi.

You can not place a switch between the modem and the router....well you can but you can only plug the modem and router into it. The issue is not so much that the switch won't work it is that the ISP only gives you a single IP address. Either you pc or the router will get it and the other will not function.
So what would be a work around this? a new router?

Yes a new router might fix this but 99% of the time it is a bad cable.

Look at your current cables and see what they are marked. You generally see the letters EIA/TIA on cables that are actually certified. What is more important is you are looking for the size of the wire. Many times you see 23AWG. You also see marking like CU or PC meaning it is copper. You do not for example want to see CCA which is copper clad aluminum wire. If your cables have no markings that makes them very suspect. Actual cat7 cable cost almost twice what cat5e cables do. Most of what you see sold on sites like amazon are fakes. You see massive amounts of that flat cable being sold that is cheaper because it has less copper metal in it. All these cables have wires too small to meet the standards.

Even if you connect the cable directly to the PC and get 1gigabit, that doesn't mean the cable is good.

If the cable is on the edge of acceptance, different network hardware can negotiate different speeds with the same cable. It will fall back to 100mbps if the cable is suspect. You don't have any cat5e cables laying around that came with the router or modem? You don't have a friend that can bring one over to try for a few minutes?

The Archer C1200 is supposed to have gigabit ports, but maybe your hardware revision doesn't have gigabit ports.

mlukayzi

Reputable
Sep 15, 2018
Yes a new router might fix this but 99% of the time it is a bad cable.

Look at your current cables and see what they are marked. You generally see the letters EIA/TIA on cables that are actually certified. What is more important is you are looking for the size of the wire. Many times you see 23AWG. You also see marking like CU or PC meaning it is copper. You do not for example want to see CCA which is copper clad aluminum wire. If your cables have no markings that makes them very suspect. Actual cat7 cable cost almost twice what cat5e cables do. Most of what you see sold on sites like amazon are fakes. You see massive amounts of that flat cable being sold that is cheaper because it has less copper metal in it. All these cables have wires too small to meet the standards.
It says, CAT.7 SSTP CABLE 26AWG/4PAIRS VERIFIED TO TIA/EIA 568B.2

mlukayzi

Reputable
Sep 15, 2018
Even if you connect the cable directly to the PC and get 1gigabit, that doesn't mean the cable is good.

If the cable is on the edge of acceptance, different network hardware can negotiate different speeds with the same cable. It will fall back to 100mbps if the cable is suspect. You don't have any cat5e cables laying around that came with the router or modem? You don't have a friend that can bring one over to try for a few minutes?

The Archer C1200 is supposed to have gigabit ports, but maybe your hardware revision doesn't have gigabit ports.
It came with a Cat5 cable, not a cat5e cable. Might be cat5e but isn't labled as so. and no I do not have any friends

Status
Not open for further replies.