[SOLVED] Speed drop from modem to router

Jan 10, 2019
Plugging my laptop into my modem (Netgear CM1000) yields the 300mbps that I pay for. But when I reconnect the router (AC1750) to the modem, and the same computer to the router via ethernet, I get only about 180mbps. Why such a substantial drop? It's a cat6 cable from the modem to the router, cat5e from the router to the laptop. Wifi speeds directly next to the router are about the same, and obviously drop with range. Is a 100+Mbps drop through the router normal even if not using wifi? Any help is a appreciated!

Jan 10, 2019
Well it certainly fixed that issue! Speeds out of the router via ethernet are essentially the same as the modem. It's always the easy and obvious choice that I ruled out as too dumb to try first... Thanks for the help!

kanewolf

Titan
Well it certainly fixed that issue! Speeds out of the router via ethernet are essentially the same as the modem. It's always the easy and obvious choice that I ruled out as too dumb to try first... Thanks for the help!
Yeah, people put QOS or other traffic shaping on a home router which will limit the performance. A factory reset clears all the "stuff I forgot I set" and allows the router to perform optimally.

Jan 10, 2019
Ethernet speeds out of the router are now perfect but the wifi is all jacked up now (at least moreso than before, which I didn't know possible!). Can rarely connect to 5.8g, speeds are all over the place, random dropouts... more investigating I guess!